Designing a multiple levels PCBs in KiCad?

Here is something to ponder on https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg41330.html. I am not sure if I understand correctly but reading the second paragraph seems like the KiCad tries to modify just the things that the current project needs, leaving everithing else intact.

@Rene_Poschl So here we have official confirmation that the proposed solution would be doable

[edit 21.11.2019]
Another message hinting that KiCad schematics can be used in multiple projects at the same time

[edit 22.11.2019]
Definite confirmation.

I do not know if it is “official”, but we had different terms based on the layout. Two or more boards of about the same size are a stack, with the boards being numbered from the bottom up (as built). If one board is significantly smaller than the “main” board, the attached board is a daughterboard. As for design, I would recommend hierarchical layout for a stack, or individual projects for daughterboard designs. Particularly if the daughterboard used depends on, or alters, functionality.

Had the problem of designing a PCB as a front panel and PCBs behind the front panel with connectors, LEDs, switches. I did the schematics and started the PCB layout. I knew the size of the front panel - a standard plastic box with panels on the two ends.

Drew the outline of the panel. Saved as front_panel.kicad_pcb. Arranged the components. Defined holes for each type and put them over the components (basically superimposed he control panel over what would become the back PCBs).

Copied the front_panel.kicad_pcb file to back_pcbs.kicad_pcb - and I could see both of them as separate PCB layouts. Note they were in the same kicad project. Then deleted the superimposed parts as I needed (in front_panel, deleted the parts; in back_pcbs the front _panel holes).

(routed the back_pcbs as needed. put in mousebites, etc, because the different PCBs would be at different distances from the front_panel… I had placed mounting holes for each board as needed and also on the front_panel.)

I then plotted each separately, and they were ready to go.

I use 4.0.7 - I assume the same trick would work in 5+

No sweating!

I made this set of PCBs just by writing down the coordinates of connectors and verifying my double check that I got the signals right. Print out the boards (to a suitable scale), cut them out and overlay them on a window so you can look through them. If you are off by 0.1 mm, no problem.

Top 3 boards were made with EAGLE, the rest with KiCAD.

How would I do it today? I’d just export the 3D-models from KiCAD (works like a charm) and import them into Fusion 360 (FreeCAD just drives me nuts). There you can make an assembly and verify how your PCBs do match with the mechanics.

But again, all that was done without the export/import features. I just designed the big PCB in MCAD (less than 1 hour work) to verify it will fit with the housing. Including light pipes and SCCard slot.

Nick

1 Like

I realize that having both PCB in a single project seems simpler, but I don’t think it is a good long term answer. It is unclear to me, having never done this, what the Gerbers would be. Don’t do anything that will confuse the PCB manufacturer. They want a simple single PCB. Simple. Simple. Simple. Hence, separate projects seems like a better way to go.

I would also suggest that you only ever have 1 project open at a time. My pea brain screws things up. (:sunglasses:

You can make a single board outline and place only the mating connectors. Then use this as the basis for both designs, changing the Edgecuts as necessary. Be sure to LOCK the connectors in place.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.