Defining paths for libraries in the 4.0.0 stable release

The Kicad 32-bit 4.0.0 Stable Release for Windows is now available for download with this disclaimer.

“There is a minor issue with this version, where you need to redefine the paths set in pcbnew → preferences → configure paths to
your install location.”

Can someone post a short, succinct description on how to do this, especially with regards to libraries and github? A lot of posters smarter than me in both Kicad forums are still having problems with this on the RC2 release. How about it Gurus?

I did search the folders of the default path on my installation location:
• packages3d (KISYS3DMOD)
• modules (KISYSMOD)
I found those folders on here:
C:\Program Files\KiCad\share\kicad\modules\packages3d
and
C:\Program Files\KiCad\share\kicad\modules
so, i just change the “default” paths to the paths i found.
Anyone can confirm this is the correct way to do it, or i think KIGITHUB path is correct so i don’t change it.

This is correct.
KiCad rocks.

Mine’s just swaying…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Continuing the discussion from Defining paths for libraries in the 4.0.0 stable release:

Turn it up to eleven then.

This issue should be fixed in KiCad 4.0.1 for clean installs. If you have KiCad installed previously, you should either clean your config in %APPDATA%\kicad (I think this is the path), or you can just manually set the correct path in the configure paths dialog as previously mentioned.

Hi,

How should we install 4.0.1 ?

Just install over existing version 4.0.0 or uninstall 4.0.0 and install new 4.0.1

¿ Should we clean the Win registry using regedit or not ?

regards Rainer

Just install over it. The only potential issue I can see is that you will keep some footprints that might have been renamed or removed from 4.0.0 if any. Otherwise the “safest” and slowest is to uninstall the on you have and then install the new.

Hi Nick,

OK. I took the long way. Uninstalled the v4.0.0 and installed then the v4.0.1 and got the following

After making a test eeschema and run CvPcb I got the first error like the image below

OK I deleted the libraries in question using Preferences > Footprint Libraries Manager and ran again CvPcb and got another error like the one below

Made the same steps as before and ran CvPcb again and got no error. I was able to add a Footprint to each component and saved it.

so far so good :slight_smile:

Then I opened Pcbnew and read the Netlist file and OH surprise got the next error

and now what do I do ?

regards Rainer

Hi Nick,

Looks like my workflow was wrong.

I did not create a Netlist before associating the footprints to the components.

SORRY

:blush:

The first part, was because you were using the github plugin, and are referenceing some old pretties that do not exist.

OK. Thanks.

Now I am seeing that when saving the file in CvPcb with new footprints it uses old footprints eg. it does not overwrite correctly the old file.

¿?