Default title block

Hi,
Is there an option to define the default title block for new schematics page?

I’m not sure if you are asking about block shape or block contents.
I don’t know how to define any defaults for KiCad.
I have defined my.kicad_wks - so that is block shape.
I inserted it into my default (empty) project. Any texts I write in that project in File-Page Settings… becomes my default block contens.
As I start each new project by copying that my default project I have the table with defined by me shape and with defined by me contents.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer. I was referring to the title block shape.
What you suggest is a workaround.
I expect to have an option to set all defaults for new created project.

I think this was also asked quite some time ago.
If I remember well, there are no real user definable default settings for new projects.

But KiCad does support templates.
You can use any project (including an empty one with just settings) as a template.
There are a few steps you have to follow to create a template, so search for that. (I’ve forgotten the details).

As I remember from instruction to V4.0.7 there is file kicad.pro (I found it now in KiCad\share\kicad\template) and it is (or was) used as default when you open new project.
At the same place there was information that Windows don’t allows to edit it as Windows don’t like anyone touching Program Files directory.
I have read it before I first time installed KiCad so I installed it in another directory and since than I install all new KiCad versions im my own directory.
As I remember you could save settings done with no project opened into that file (in other systems it worked but Windows had something against). I think in V5 you can’t do any settings with no project opened so probably it was something left from V4 (or V3).
Just check if modifying that file will have effect when opening new project.
I never open new project. I copy my default project (using file manager) and open it.

I don’t know about other versions but, in V5.et_al, you can create a Template with the stuff you want for both PCB and Schematic.

Read through my posts in link below.

Once done, use your Template to create a new project (or, save a copy of a preferred Project and use the copy for new projects as @Piotr suggested).

Example below shows opening one of my templates (look at the Legend in schematic and PCB - they are my custom worksheet that get loaded by the template)

https://forum.kicad.info/t/making-a-template-for-kicad-projects/24468

1 Like

Many thanks to you all!

I tried to create templete in V4.0.7 but I failed. Then I tried how with copying from my default project and it worked so I didn’t tried template any more :slight_smile:

I tried this myself and failed.
The title page is hardcoded in KiCad, and trying to change it is practically impossible.
The template solution works, but is far from optimal.
The correct solution would be to keep the hardwired title page and let a custom-defined title page override it (which of course should be stored with the design).

What do you mean by title page?
The question is about title block - part of frame around working sheet. KiCad has separate tool to edit that frame including title block. It is not hardcoded in KiCad. You specify the file to be used in File - ‘Page Settings’ - ‘Page layout description file’.

Nope.

The correct solution would be to have a “default” template for starting new projects.
This default would be a readonly file (so KiCad always has something to create a new project from), but you should be able to overrule this with your own default. This is the most straight forward way to implement (custom) new projects.

It would also make KiCad simpler, The template system is already implemented, so the biggest change would be to just remove the hard coded project altogether. As far as I know the developers already know this, but they always have more issues to resolve then manpower to resolve them with. :slight_smile:

Phrasing error. I meant title block, sorry.

You’re probably right. I only have experience with the current setup (5.1), where the hardcoded title block steamrollers all others.

I haven’t had a problem with 5.1 not using my own worksheet file for the title block when defined in a template. I have the worksheet file saved in the template project folder and have it specified in the schematic page setting for the template. Here is a picture of the schematic title block with the page settings requester right after I create this project from my user template:
2021-12-23 12_43_55-Window

My only issue with templates (I’ll check to see the behavior in 6.0 once the full release is out, and then submit a gitlab issue if necessary) is any empty folders in my templates are not copied to the new project. Thus the directory structure that I want to default in new projects (for collecting things like datasheets, project libraries, etc) isn’t copied over unless there are dummy files each the folder leaf of the directory tree for me to either ignore or delete later.

That’s Correct. I have an ‘out’ folder for my CNC files so, I have a ‘place holder’ in the folders… just a .png

This is ridiculous.
Working with “place holder” files etc. to get this to work is not acceptable.
And this is in no way a new issue. Even the template idea doesn’t work correctly as this thread shows:

“User Friendly” and “Intuitive” are defined differently.

Are you using the 6.0RCs, or is this (like me) on 5.1.x? I don’t want to submit an issue for something that might already be fixed in the 6.0 codebase, but I’m holding off for the imminent release before switching.

Compared to starting a project, there is a similar issue with archiving a project.
KiCad’s project manager has a built-in function to create a zipped archive, but the files that do or do not get included in the archive seem arbitrary to me.

As an alternative, it’s relatively straightforward to make a sort of makefile, shell script (python, perl, ruby, choose your poison) and include it in a template, an then have that script create extra directories, make archives the way you want them, initialize git repositories or do other common tasks for a project. It’s also an option to have that script delete itself after it’s run.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.