Dated PCB design technique

You are right, I forgot the dust and a million broken drills :grimacing:

1 Like

That’s quite possible how I made the 4-layer label. I knew about those tricks back then.

As you say! I Remember this New Technology: tapes, how they were so much better than Ink. So “easily” edit able: And I stil have the lens from the photo reduction camera!
I dit it, I do not imagine that I would find the motivation to do it now.
I love KiCad!

1 Like

I collect Sun workstations… sadly very little software left around to run on them. It would be really cool to have period engineering software for them.

I even have a couple odd ones like a Ross Sparcplug and a Hyperstation 30 board and an AG10e… in addition to the rest of the sun4c, sun4m and sun4d usual suspects.

We only used them for Redac (now Zuken) Visula and WordPerfect

I laid out quite a few boards with tape on mylar back in the day. Never had a Lotus, but I chain-smoked then and now and am still here to tell the story.

2 Likes

Well apparently you could also cut away a PCB from Rubylith (?), to be hones it looks like more work than tape or marker.

The rubylith method is probably done by an automated cutting plotter, and the photograph from some small retouche / repair or inspection.

1 Like

Yes plotted, that photo looks like an IC masking layer

Well when I searched for Rubylith (never heard of it before) I found out that people do some crazy stuff with it, I just assumed that it was handmade.

You’re looking for Viewlogic Powerview CAD software http://people.ee.duke.edu/~mbrooke/ee3270/HSPICE/Aston_University/powerview.html

I’ll stick with KiCAD, and hope I won’t have to use Powerview again. Powerview is very powerful and difficult to use.

2 Likes

There were thousands of software for Sun systems back then… virtually all of it has vanished.

That said I am pretty sure I could get PCB-RND to run on my workstations…KiCad is pretty lightweight but not quite that lightweight i think. It would be fun for a retro challenge to try to actually do something in PCB-RND on a sun etc… at least PCB-RND and KiCad can interoperate to some degree.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.