Cvpcb strange behavior

I have a schematic drawn. Using Cvpcb, yields 200 components. There were several footprints that had to be fabricated. On the LHS of Cvpcb on the three part screen, there are about 6 entities I added in the form of My(part #). All 200 components are matched to their footprint respectively. In the middle screen, it would seem logical that one could select one of the previous coupled component/footprints and the viewer would show that selected footprint in the previewer. Is there a way to do that?
I save footprint association and NOW(my show of anticipation), I am opening the pcb layout tool. I read the netlist and I get a ton of errors. Too many to count. There is a blob in the middle of the screen. I spread these over the screen and there are only 8 mosfets and each mosfet footprint has only one net attached to it. What am I doing wrong?

If I understand your symptoms correctly this sounds like a problem with drafting the schematic.

Does the ERC (Electrical Rules Check) in EESchema issue any messages?

Did you remember to create the netlist AFTER you saved the footprint associations, then import it into PCBNew?

Does the Netlist generator issue any messages?

When you read the netlist in PCBNew, are the “ton of errors” mostly the same kind of error, or several different kinds of errors?

Which version of KiCAD are you using?

Dale

1 Like

Do you mean you designed the footprints your self? Did you add your libs to the fp-lib-table?
If not: add it via the library wizard found in footprint editor -> preferences.

LHS means left hand side?
If so: The left most column shows you the available libs. (All libs that are in the fp-lib-tables available to your project.)

The middle column shows all components (symbol with a reference) of your project including their assigned footprint (text only, no preview).

The rightmost column shows the filter result (available footprints under the current filter settings, selected component and selected lib. Not all of the influence the result under all filter settings.)

More details about that: Cannot Find Foot Print (SOLVED)

Well what kind of errors do you get?

How are they connected in the schematic? Are the pin numbers equal between symbol and footprint? And as @dchisholm wrote: what does ERC tell you.

Have a look at this post i made. It explains how symbols connect to footprints in kicad. Find component Neutrik

Without more information we can not know what you did wrong. Maybe add a few screenshots. Give the exact error messages (at least a few of them. We can try and work on one error at a time.)

I get a lot of errors when I click the rule checker “apple icon?” In the schematic, I have a box (FPGS GPIOs) with 40 pins. Inside the box, I gave each pin a label for my reference.
I then use the global label tag extensively. I also have another box (ADC) with 28 pins.
As a test…On pin 1 on the big box, I used the global label tag pendant and labeled it “dchis” in honor of my first responder.
On the 28 pin box, pin 28 is also labeled with a pendant “dchis” . I get the following…
ErrType(3): Pin connected to some others pins but no pin to drive it
@ (5.050 in,2.950 in): Pin 24 (Input) of component U4 is not driven (Net 133).

I also get a green arrow when I connect two adjacent pins on a chip.

Pin 24 is of typ input. Every input pin needs to be connected to another pin of type output.
Without knowing your exact application i don’t know if you made your symbol incorrect (wrong electrical type) or if your schematic is incorrect.

It’s supposed to be a ladybird (a type of bug) :slight_smile: :beetle:

1 Like

Thank you all very much. After a double net build, the system works. I will order the components tomorrow and when they arrive, I will lay them over the nice pdf file it creates to confirm the fit over the feet. It will also give me time to dwell over the board design and correct any errors that occur. By spending an hour or so each day until the parts arrive, I can usually get the board right the first time. This board is somewhat complicated as two layer boards go with SMDs on both sides. The ladybird also works fine. It looks like a great software package.