Creating Polygon Track

Hello,
I’m now searching for a while for an possibility to route an track with an polygon.
Is there any possibilty to do this? Or at least to route arcs and curves for an antenna
trace?

Best regards
Fabian

I would not really suggest to draw an antenna direclty on the board with traces. A better approach is to create a footprint that holds the antenna.
To achieve this create a complex pad out of graphical primitives like lines and arcs or filled polygons (depending on your needs)

A complex pad is made by drawing your shape with the graphical tools on any layer (make sure the primitives overlap), then place a single pad as the anchor point (must be a circular or rectangular pad), select the pad and all primitives -> right click -> create pad from shapes (or similar wording)

Especially polygons might however be best handled with the use of freecad and its extension stepup. Kicad StepUp: The Sketcher for Footprint generation

2 Likes

Hi, I only want to make the line to an SMA connector with curves and splines. Not the antenna itself.

1 Like

OK, no easy way to make an arc in KICAD :slight_smile:

Read all links :wink: There is a plugin for it.

If making the PCB yourself (CNC or etch), you can Draw curve/lines on Eco layer or, use the Bitmap tool and set export to Eco layer. Use it as like a Silk layer to leave copper on board.

If having PCB made by source, ask them what layer to put the graphic on and tell them it’s a copper trace with connection to a pad.

Image below shows Curve on Eco1 layer and result on CNC milling preview (I forgot to put the curve on the same layer as the Pads/DIP but, you get the idea…)

Another Option:

I think some folk come to KiCad with some Fritzing experience. The good news is that this is one of Fritzing’s strengths (sorry KiCad folks).

Image below shows Three curves:

1. Top copper layer - simply clicked trace, held CMD key and dragged to make the curved trace. Can’t be any easier!

2. Bottom copper layer - same as done in top layer (But, I did not bother to cut the btm trace)

3. Top copper layer - loaded an SVG into an Image part. This is how Copper Logo’s are made in Fritzing.

Would like to see KiCad and Fritzing tools combined into one app!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.