Creating/modifying Drawing Symbols

I’ve taken one of the library symbols for a relay and modified the pinouts to match the manufacturers pinout (and intend to make a footprint to match later once I start the PCB layout).

Can someone kindly walk me through the process - I want to save the symbol in a global library that I’ll call for example Andrew_Symbols where I will add all my symbols in the future as well.

Thankyou

AndrewR

There should be one FAQ exactly on this subject.

If searching the FAQs is too hard, here it is:

1 Like

Once you have your Personal Libraries, the below quote explains the easiest way to copy a Kicad symbol into a Personal Library so you are able to modify that symbol.

Not a great idea.
You will probably regret that decision by next year. The more you use Kicad, the more items you will need to create, modify or import. One library will soon become unworkable: it will look like the Kicad “Device” Library.
Instead, make many libraries. eg: caps, electros, resistors, pots, transformers, ICs, connectors, etc.

The problem is; if you decide to change your library system later, because it is now inadequate, everything you have done up to then, if you want to re-use parts, will have the wrong library paths. ERC and DRC, as well as possibly you, will go hysterical. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Fantastic - thank you!

Thanks - Thats important info along with jmk’s feedback

:+1:

I wholeheartedly agree. There can of course be too many libraries, but I still recommend too many rather than too few from the very beginning. If you think you may have two or more parts which can be classified together and separate from other parts, add a library. For example, instead of one Resistor library you could have Resistor, Potentiometer, ResistorArray… More generic libraries tend to become messy kitchen sinks quickly, and I haven’t even had many parts compared to many other users.

I’ve tried highlighting the part in the library and on the schematic but I cannot get he File>save as dialog box to open.

If remember well (can’t check now) there are different behavior when you right click on the symbol name in library and a little to the right - on its description.

File > Save as only works with the Symbol Editor.

If you wish to place a Kicad library symbol into a personal library so you are able to modify that symbol:
Open the Symbol Editor, find the symbol in the library from the list on the left of your screen. Highlight that then File > Save as.

If you wish to place a symbol that you have already modified, but only now exists on your Schematic, you need to place it back in the Symbol Editor by Right click on the schematic symbol and then choose “Edit in Symbol Editor”. When it is showing in the Symbol Editor, then use File >Save as.

Does this help?

Well, my first KiCAD 7 PCB is back from the PCB house. Hopefully I made no errors with the routing. Clearly the component references have not come out so I’ll need to work on that on the next spin.

There are also some other obvious issues on your photo visible, like here:

Bildschirmfoto vom 2024-02-01 15-19-14

That smd part will collide with the transistor legs if you bend it down as indicated. The’re are a lot of similar problems visible on your board.

Are you doing these by hand ? or with a stencil and solder paste ? generally via in pad is a bad idea unless it’s filled, but then the cost goes up . . . had soldering will be OK.

1 Like

The transistor is under the board. The SMD resistor is on top of the board.

All hand soldered stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Use the Gerber Viewer in the future before sending off the production files. That shows exactly what the finished board will look like per layer.

Yes - I missed that - one for the next board. I expect a few hiccups with the first board - part of the learning process and getting to know the tool.

1 Like

If you were to re-work this board would you move the transistor silk to the underside ? I think I would.

If you do, just check you haven’t simply flipped it as the leg orientation will also flip . . .

Hi, no, the transistor goes under the board, but I bend the leads UP rather than down so the pin orientation is not changed.

Small thing, but making the holes for the transistors bigger is probably a good idea. Make them so big the whole head of the screw can pass though it.

And for soldering:

1. Put the transistor pins through the PCB.
  2. Put the heatsink on top.
  3. Turn the thing around.
  4. Screw the transistors in place.
  5. Only then solder the pins of the transistors.

This mounting order minimizes mechanical stress on the solder joints.