Create custom polygon shape without converting pad?

Hello everyone,

Simple question : is it possible to create a custom shape (in edge cut layer for example) without converting a pad into the right layer with “Create from selection” ?

For example, if I want a rounded rectangle for now, my way to go is to create a pad, to configure it through the pad properties window and then converting it into a polygon on the right layer.

As well, once I’ve done it, I find it very difficult to position my shape. First, the position option does not appear when I open the properties of the object (with shortcut E). I have to access it through the Properties Manager. Then, if I type (0,0) into the (x,y) setting, the position is not defined from the center of my object but from some side points. It forces my to position my shape when I am working at the pad level and then converting it, and makes any attempt to move it a bit uncomfortable.

Do you have better way to go about all of these ? And am I missing something here ?

Thanks !

You are mixing up different things. From pads to the Edge.Cuts layer, polygons.

pads and the Edge.Cuts layer have very little in common. Some objects like pads and footprints have their own anchor point, but objects such as polygons or groups do not have a clearly defined anchor point (for a group it is apparently the geometrical center).

It looks like you are attempting to translate what you want into something abstract first, and then ask some questions about that abstract thing. This makes it very difficult to comprehend your intention. If you tell us what you actually want to do, and add one or two screenshots too, then we may be in a better position to help you.

Rounded rectangle ? on EdgeCuts

using these tools . . .

1 Like

There are at least two simple ways to draw an rounded rectangle on Edge.Cuts directly.

You can first set up a suitable grid, and then just draw some lines and arcs and drag them around to make their end points fit.

A quicker way is to first draw a rectangle, then right click on it and form the context menu select: Shape modification / Fillet Lines. (This also works with a polygon. It also works if you drew a bunch of separate lines, but you have to select all the lines that you want filleted, and those lines have to have matching endpoints too).

Sorry for not being clear. Here is the point :

• On the one hand, when I create a pad, i have plenty of options concerning the shape (rounded rectangle, trapezoidal, etc) and i can set the parameters (curvature, etc)
  • On the other hand, if i want to draw a shape, i can use the tools mentioned by RaptorUK on the right toolbar and combines them properly (breaking in lines, merging, etc) and create a desired shape of mine
    → The thing is that in the second case, i find it painful to just have rectangle, circle, arc and lines to work with and I am wondering if there exist a menu as the one for pad shape but that can directly create a custom shape on any layer
    → and as I was stressing my way to go right now is to create a pad with the shape I want and then to convert it into a polygon and putting it on the layer I want and deleting the former pad I used just as a shape model!
    Hope it’s more clear:)

It’s still not clear to me. What is the end result you are aiming for? I guess it is an outline for a PCB on the Edge.Cuts layer (but I’m still not sure).

Ok, so it’s not just Edge.Cuts, but that only makes your goal vaguer, not clearer.

“Simple shapes” just do not make much sense for Edge.Cuts. If it’s very simple, well, KiCad has rectangles and circles, and rectangles (and polygons) can be filleted or chamfered. If Edge.Cuts needs to be a bit more complicated, there are too many options to try to fit it comfortably in some tool, and creating it from simple primitives such as lines and arcs is reasonable easy to do in KiCad.
If Edge.Cuts is much more complicated, then import from an 3rd party mechanical CAD program is a more sensible option. At the moment it just does not make sense for KiCad to attempt to create and integrate a complete mechanical CAD program.

Have you seen the new dogbone shape modification just added to KiCad-nightly?

The end result is having a custom shape ! Could be on edge cut to have a hole with a custom shape, or on silkcreen to have a drawing that fits my need.
I am simply wondering how pads comes to have so many options for shaping them, but that there are no a generic menu at least as much powerful to directly create a shape !

But from what you say I understand that there is not something that I am missing and it is normal !

Thanks for the help anyway you are only the first to answer me here:)

Pads have a bunch of different (and parametric) default shapes because it makes sense for pads. The default shapes are adequate for almost anything, while those default shapes would not make much sense for “other things” because the topic is too wide.

If you want more complex pads or other shaped pads, you have the same editing tools as for all other graphical things in KiCad.

Another reason is that there are often very many pads in a project, and so automation makes more sense. For a few “custom shapes” it hardly matters whether you have to choose between a gazillion wizards, or just create them from simple primitives. If you want a lot of those “custom things”, then it may work to put them in a footprint first and use multiple instances of the footprint.

You can vote for Add rounding (fillets) to shapes (#4742) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab and/or the related issues by giving a thumb up there.

Apart from that, what shapes you really miss? I have never needed a trapezoid and have never seen it used, even as a pad. Circular and rectangular are self evident and have their own tools, they can be either filled or outlines. Oval (oblong, stadium) you can create by drawing a straight line and choosing the wanted line thickness and length to create the oval shape. Then you can use the context menu → Create from Selection → Polygon → Create bounding hull. This makes it a polygon which can be an outline or filled. Also the Arc shape can be used similarly to create a curved sausage shaped polygon.

To get filleted or chamfered rectangles or polygons you can use context menu → Shape Modification on a rectangle or polygon.

So, you can do pretty much without using pads. The only shape you can’t easily do with a couple of clicks is “Chamfered with other corners rounded”.

You can do quite a lot with the Shape Modification tools from the popup menu.

For example:

1. Draw a polygon.
  2. Shape modification / Fillet Lines (This also explodes the polygon into lines and arcs).
  3. Remove some of the arcs.
  4. Make a new selection and Shape Modification / Extend lines to meet.
  5. Select the whole thing and the Create from Selection / Create Polygon from selection.

Sure, these are not very sophisticated CAD functions but it’s pretty adequate for PCB design program, and it’s also being extended such as with the dogbone tool I linked to earlier.