Create a new footprint library in KiCad 7 on Win 10

I have found that I can create new footprint libraries in KiCad 7 on Win 10 by using File Manager to first create a folder inside my footprints folder, and naming the new folder with the name I want to use for my new footprint library. Then, I open Footprint Manager, followed by Manage Footprint Libraries, and then click the black folder Icon which reopens my footprint folder. I choose the new folder I just created, and Footprint Manager grabs it as a new library.

Is that the normal way? Thanks.

@jmk wrote a FAQ on libraries: Kicad 6 Beginners Guide to Personal Symbol and Footprint Libraries

PS: In case it isn’t clear, you are both right. You have to create the directory in the filesystem somehow and register the new library with KiCad.

If you create it as (local) plugin (might be more convenient in the long term), it will register automatically in KiCad 7 (names start with PCM_).

Once (2017) I have created (with file manager) all my global footprint libraries. Then inserted them in the KiCad library list (deleting all KiCad libraries from list). Since then I had no need to create any new library.
If I want to use a KiCad footprint as a start for my footprint I copy it (with file manager) to one of my libraries, rename and then modify with footprint editor.

Or, in the footprint/symbol editor:
Find the Kicad footprint/symbol to modify.
File / Save as, which opens a window in which you name the part and select the library.

Or you can use copy/paste in the footprint/symbol editor.

That is three methods.
All give the same result and take about the same time.

What is footprint/symbol manager?
I didn’t know that I can find KiCad footprint in library that is not in my library list.
May be it is in V7 I didn’t installed yet.

Sorry @Piotr

It should have been “footprint/symbol editor”. I have edited the above post to “editor” from manager.

Instead of deleting the official libraries, I hide them using “Manage Symbol/Footprint Libraries” in “Preferences”.
I also change the position of the ones I keep by altering the “nicknames” of personal libraries to keep mine at the top of the list.
See my FAQ https://forum.kicad.info/t/kicad-6-beginners-guide-to-personal-symbol-and-footprint-libraries/38738 for full explanations.

I have reviewed all the replies to my first post in this thread, and appreciate all the input. There are several people here who are truly experts.

I noticed that when I use File Manager to create folders for footprints, I can name the folder without the “.pretty” extension, but when I use the Footprint Editor to create a new library, the “.pretty” extension is automatically added. Does it matter whether or not the “.pretty” extension is used? Does it affect the way the library functions?

Thanks again.

It doesn’t matter. It’s just a convention. If I’m not totally mistaken, .pretty isn’t actually used anywhere by KiCad except as a suggestion. It’s just a folder which includes footprint files.

1 Like

It was just some dev’s idea in the past for a default extension, maybe they felt footprints were artistic. I named mine something.footprints. Name them how you wish.

1 Like

If they are your own, personally made footprints, maybe “.beautiful” would be a more descriptive extension than “.pretty”. :smiley:

1 Like

PCM does enforce it, though (package.py).

1 Like

FWIW, “.sweet” was sometime planned or suggested to be the ending for the new symbol library format. I think that was when they still thought the symbol libraries would be folders like the footprint libraries.

1 Like

OT: A long time ago I read a sentence that managed to include two pairs of opposites: This building is a little big and pretty ugly for its location. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.