Correcting a trace

Many ways to get to the same result. One thing I like about KiCAD. :slight_smile: The shortcuts “I” and “U” are also useful to select a trace to move it to a different layer for example

Thanks for the tip Mike

Or to change the tracks width to a custom with or make sure it uses netclass width.

… or to change net assignment, if needed. Sometimes If I do some mess (like moving parts of the design around when settling things down) some of my tracks are assigned to wrong nets (if they overlap with some other pads after move). Using “Select” tool I can reassign them to my proper nets which allows me to reuse them instead of delete&re-route.

I am used to copy some part of PCB to new design by positioning footprints in new project exactly as they were in previous and then select all tracks in that part of old pcb and copy/paste to new PCB (tracks get the net from pads they are placed on).
I didn’t found yet how to do it in Kicad.
I have just checked - when using “I” I select one track I can’t select the next one.
Right-click menu has at that next track the “Select-Connected Tracks” menu item, but it not works.

You might want at Save/Restore layout: action plugin. If the part of the layout is completely contained within one hierarchical sheet, this is doable.

Open PCBnew in a standalone mode (run pcbnew instead of Kicad). Open old design, remove everything un-needed in new project. Then Save as…
Now open new project in PCBnew. Select File > Append board and open the saved old part.
I do “recycle” parts of old designs this way.

1 Like

Can’t you just kill (close) pcbnew without saving the file? Seems like this might work regardless of which version of kicad you are using.

I’ve never tried.
If standalone mode gives you some more possibilities then “normal” mode shouldn’t the standard KiCad installation add more icons to pulpit.

I don’t understand.
If you close any application without saving what you have done you have nothing left.

The append operation available in standalone is considered unsave (with good reason as it does not handle libraries at all -> results in your project being potentially disconnected from libraries.)

V6 will most likely bring proper copy paste handling between kicad instances (iff the available resources allow for it)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.