Copy a old board layout into KiCAD

What I did to move a old PCB in .DXF to KiCAD:
I imported graphics (use the .dxf) into DWGS.USER or EC01.USER layer. That layer is used as a background and I placed the parts where they belong and the traces on top of the old traces. I still had to design the PCB but it looks just like the old board.

There are two ways to import the graphics file.
1–import into the PCB editor. But the .DFX can be edited and the lines and parts can be moved and edited and I just wanted to draw over the top. It is too easy to move part of the .DFX image when I wanted to move a trace.
2–use the foot print editor. Import the .DFX or another file. Save and give it a name. Now bring that into the PCB editor. Now the graphics image is all one thing that can not be edited by mistake. (lock down the foot print so it can not be moved)

In the picture the white lines are the old board to be copied. I placed the 14 pin connector on top. The The SMA connector is where it belongs. Then later (not shown) I put the resistors and capacitors in place. Connecting the traces is easy. Just flow the white lines. Click on each corner of the trace.

What I learned:
You can import many types of files into PCBs, foot prints and schematics. Then either leave the image, or use it to help the design then delete it at the end.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.