"component manager"

does anything similar to Orcads CIS option exist for Kicad? i.e. a way to have a list/database of prefered parts/ parts in stock you can choose from when drawing the schematic and have all the fields; value, footprint, manufacturer partnumber, etc. filled out automatically

No, but you can take a look at KiCost

KiCost could get a lot of that information when it scrapes the Digikey, Mouser and Farnell websites, but it has to have the manufacturers’ part numbers to do that. That’s the minimum information you’ll need to enter. You only need to enter the part number for a single part and KiCost will propagate that to all the identical parts in the schematic.

In another post, Wefast mentioned a Python script he made that propagated the part information stored in a CSV file back into the schematic file. By combining that script with KiCost, you may be able to make a tool that fills in much of the part information automatically.

But that is all done post processing the schematic/BOM. I’d like to do it while drawing the schematic. i.e. instead of picking a generic R and later adding information, I can pick and place on the schematic a 10K,1%,0603 resistor from a list of parts I have on the shelf

1 Like