Component Keep Out Zones

I am first time user. Completed schematic. Prepared netlist, opened pcb new and read in netlist. placed some components, then when trying to run trace, said cannot start trace in a keep out area. Checked all smd resistors and capacitors, all had keep out area. Did I pick wrong footprint or is there someway to remove the keep out zone from all the components?

Can you post exactly which footprints you used so we can check on them?

EDIT: Would make no sense to have pads in a keep out area in the footprint. Any chance you designed a large keep out area that these all happen to be in? Are your trace width’s too large? Not sure it would give that exact error though.

It is not entirely clear what you did, but I will point you toward some errors common to new users (especially users with no experience in PC layout programs):

• What values have you set for DRC parameters? You will find these entries under the “Design Rules” menu. KiCAD may default to some ridiculously conservative values; if you are entirely at a loss to guess a realistic value, set both the “Minimum Track Width” and “Minimum Clearance” to 15 mils (0.35mm). These are still quite conservative values, but will allow you to lay out a board that is easy to manufacture, assemble, and troubleshoot.

• Did you assign footprints before creating the netlist? KiCAD will not allow you to route traces to a footprint that you simply place into PCBNew - you must first assign each pad in the footprint to a net from the schematic. The easiest way to do this is in the schematic itself, before creating a netlist, by associating each schematic symbol with a footprint.

And if I have guessed incorrectly about your knowledge and experience, give us a little more information and somebody will help you get started.

Dale

example footprint Resistor_SMD:R_1206_3216 Metric. When I look at the footprint, as assigned in the schematic, I do not see the keep out zone. Traces and vias set to default. I suspect your guess it a good one, a universal keep out zone although I have no clue how I did it or how to delete it.
Thanks

DRC is at default. I applied (chose) the footprints while I was in the schematic program by selecting the properties and then clicking on footprint and then selecting by double clicking on the one I wanted. For instance, for the resistors, Resistor_SMD:R_1206_3216 metric and I even changed one to the “handsolder” but that wasn’t any better. I have used Express PCB and did one or two boards with PCB123 (terrible program).
Most of this is for Amateur projects so I only do several boards a year. It is not my profession but I enjoy the activity.
Thanks

One other thing, you can see the line around the pad for the keep out area, even on integrated circuits. It is not there on the native footprint.

OK. It seems to be something in your settings. I just dropped this in and routed it:

Have you tried ‘update board from schematic’? It almost sounds like you don’t have a netlist active. Are you getting the ratsnest? Lines between pads that should be connected by traces?

I’m set to ‘ignore DRC’ in the routing editor at the moment because I’m not putting this on the schematic.

Which version are you using - there was a recent bug which caused some routing problems?

John: Ver:(5.1.2)-2.
Hermit:
I found what it is, but not why or the correct method. I needed to put it on a round board, so I looked up how to do that and made a 2" round board with edge.cuts. I assume that was the correct move? In any case, parts drug on to that circle cannot be routed. if I drag the parts off the circle and just onto the sheet, I can then route them and no complaints of keep out area. Perhaps I did not correctly create a round board??
Fred

You’re probably facing this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1826014

5.1.3 is coming, but in the meantime you can try the nightly builds. For windows:

https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/index.html?prefix=windows/testing/5.1/

1 Like

Thanks!
I’ll hang loose for a few days and see how it goes.
Fred

Does it help to do the layout before the edge lines or does the edge lines ‘back corrupt’ the layout? Anyone know? Just curious.

You may not have created a round board. You may have a PCB with a large round hole it in.

Delete everything on the edge cuts layer. Make a new outline that is rectangular and see if that works.

Cleared the sheet. Using layer edge cuts, add graphic line, make rectangle, pull in parts, add trace and connect the parts is fine. Clear sheet, create a circle using layer edge cuts, add graphic circle, pull in parts, add trace and connect parts does not work. No trace. Items are keep out.
Fred

I have recreated the problem. The circle drawing tool does work on the EdgeCuts layer to define the OUTSIDE of a PCB. The area inside the circle (or arc) is a KeepOut Area. So you won’t have any luck with those. You will need to define an approximation using straight line segments, like 32 or 64 lines.

See this: Circular cutout on "edge.cuts" not handled correctly

I think the best solution is to use pre-5.1.3 nightly builds as told by Efcis above. Those two independent “circles in Edge.Cuts” bugs (routing and gerber viewing) have been fixed there, like many other bugs.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.