Component appears several times in BOM

Hallo
I made a schematic and wanted to create a BOM for counting the number of electronic parts I used in my project so I created a BOM. In the BOM I realized that the same Part (Ferrit BEAD ->FB1) is listet more than one time.

When I looked for an reason I realized that for every additional field entry there was made a new Ferritbead.
The folloing picture shows the symbol Properties (including additional field entries) which are shown in the symbol editor? Can anybody tell me why this happens?

Or is it a bug? I used version 5.1.2 - 1.

Fabian

How did you created your BOM (from PCBNew, from Eeschema, which script did you run) ?

I normally create the BOM from EEschema, using the script “bom2grouped_csv”, that way, all the components that are the same, are grouped together.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for your fast answer. I used the bom2csv script shown in the picture

I also tested the bom2grouped_csv plugin. The result was the same

Have you tried running an ERC to make sure you didn’t accidentally place multiple beads with the ref’d FB1?

1 Like

This are the outputs of the scripts to the same design:

bom2csv:

bom2grouped_csv
Uploading: grafik.png…

bom_csv_grouped_by_value

Sorry, not sure why it is not working.

Do not forget to change the extension to “'CSV”, maybe you have two outputs, one “blahbla.csv” and another one without extension “blahblah” and you keep opening the one that hasn’t been modified.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I made the ERC. There are mistakes but nothing should concern the Ferrit Bead (FB).

I also dont realy understand the reason for the designrule mistakes, but I think ERC is a another topic.

The first and last error might be quite dangerous. You have the same pin number on multiple units of U3 (not a good idea! Every pin should be only once in the symbol).

If you then connect it to something different on different instances (Example you have it connected to GND for unit A and V_INT_SARA on unit B) then kicad can not really say what to do.

1 Like

I tried again with bom_csv_grouped_by_value and the additional csv ending. In this way it works

Thanks for your hint. I corrected my symbol name. Now only one error is missing:

Do you have an idea what could be the reason for this?

Here is the screenshot of the area with the failed ERC

Well what is the electrical type of pin 1 of your tps70933 symbol? Does it make sense to have it as output if its name already suggests it is something else. Electrical type of schematic symbol pins (KiCad 4 and KiCad 5)

1 Like

I changed it to input and now it works fine! But I had to add a Powerflag. When I tested using a powerflag and changed it back to an output (I know it is an input actual) there still was a ERC mistake. I always thougt a powerflag always solves the input/output problem? Or did I missunderstand this?

The power flag is intended for exactly one usecase. KiCads ERC is net based. There is one check where it looks for every power input pin if the net that the pin is connected to also has a power output pin. (This is a simplified version of a check to ensure every device is powered.)

That check has some limitations. Lets imagine you have a passive device between the power source and your power consumers. KiCads net based ERC does not understand that power is transferred freely over it. Meaning you somehow need to tell kicad that yes this other device is now where power comes from. The solution is to place the power flag at the “output” pin of the passive to tell ERC that the net this pin is connected to is indeed powered.

The second usecase is that you will most likely use some form of connector as your main power supply. If you want to use a generic connector symbol then you will need to connect a power flag to it such that ERC knows that yes this connector is where power comes from.

A major thing to remember is that every net is only allowed one power source at the time. This includes power flags. So if all your gnds are connected then you only need one power flag right next to the main power supply connector.

An alternative explanation can be found in the FAQ ErrType(3): Pin connected to some others pins but no pin to drive it

1 Like

Thanks for your long answer, I think now I got it.

Hi
now I installed the new KI Cad Version and agaun there were all all Components twice.

When I looked closer I found the reason ->I added new fields like Mouser part Number.
For each it generated a new line. How can I avoid this?

Which BOM plugin did you use? And why did you add this stuff here and in a new post? (can the other one be closed?)

OK, that wasnt the best way to do it like this. Sorry.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.