Changes in untouched files

Short Update: The issue was closed. In the end the problem is build out of two issues. One - the line order - was already reported and will be fixed. The other one - the changed UUIDs - is a feature, not a bug :wink: KiCad is checking if there are duplicate UUIDs and increment one in case there are identical UUIDs found. That’s good, BUT: Why are there duplicate UUIDs if KiCad will check it?
Well, i think we have to do some “homework” first, to answer this question. Get a clean project state without identical UUIDs and observe under which circumstances the issue eventually arises again. I hope we will not find anything again, but if so, I will give you an update.

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

duplicate UUIDs are usually there if groups/sheets etc. are duplicated with copy and paste. Not sure why they are not updated on saving right after tho.

My guess would be a “conflict solving” gone wrong situation.

It’s me… again…

If I place no_connects they seem to get the same UUID - at least in my example. I’ve attached a simple test case. One can see two elements with the same UUID in the second commit (line 50/51 in sub1.kicad_sch). I did not change anything by hand nor did I copy these elements. Obviously the check on duplicated UUID failed in this case. Only at the second “save” operation KiCad changed the UUID.

The good news: It’s somehow deterministic and it should not cause merge conflicts. But just in case - a workaround would be: A Close - Reopen - Save routine in front of each push. This will at least prevent masking of unintended changes.

Can anyone tell me if this topic is worth a new bug report?

EDIT: Attachment updated
testUUID.zip (45.5 KB)

1 Like

I think there is a bug there yes, just adding floating no_connect marks on save gives me this:

If you then close, reopen and save it corrects itself.

2 Likes

The related issue report from above is reopened.
Thanks to @Aris_Kimi for confirming the issue!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.