CCT boards over two sheets and both loaded by pcbnew

I created a project over two sheets, effective two cct boards. Now when I load the schematics onto pcbnew it will place them both on the same sheet. If also for example I run global position it will place them on one cct board mixed.

Is it possible to load one schematic onto pcbnew sheet then the other when the first is done or am I better of creating a separate sub projects for each cct board instead of sheets.

Each KiCad project is logically one schematic, one netlist and one pcb

1 Like

If you want to order a single pcb with both boards as sub-boards (panel) then you have to either put both schematics into a single sheet or make a master sheet and put the 2 schematics as hierarchical sheets… or one as master and the other as hierarchical one… or get a tool outside of KiCAD that is able to merge gerber files - many ways lead to Rome.
This is because KiCAD only knows single boards/pcbs/projects as @davidsrsb already mentioned.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, I think I worked out what I needed.

I created two projects.
I created the layout for one project in pcbnew.
Once done, moved it out of the way in pcbnew and locked all the foot prints.
I then created a hierarchy sheet in the above project.
Appended the hierarchy sheet in the project by importing the second project schematic.
I re-did the Annotations, Rules check, CVPCB and the net list.
I then re-read the net list in pcb new.
Did the global spread.
So far so good the first layout seems untouched allowing for the second to be done.