Capacitor with low ESR

That’s nifty too, the Kemet version of the Murata sim I linked above
http://ds.murata.co.jp/simsurfing/mlcc.html?lcid=en-us

2 Likes

Any MLCC capacitor will have adequate ESR for your application. You are not focusing on the most important spec – minimum capacitance. ALL ceramic capacitors in this size/capacitance have a tolerance and a capacitance derating with voltage. You should use any 50 V 2.2 uF capacitor of X5R or X7R dielectric. It will meet the 1 uF minimum. It will also meet the 500 milliohm maximum ESR.

I did a little checking, and with the X&R or X%R dielectrics, a value of 1.2 uF or above is fine unless it will get hot in the circuit. 1.5uF is a sure thing…

Lol… Watch out holding the shift key when embedding digits between letters. Different international keyboards will map different symbols to the shift-digit combinations. For clarity you mean “X7R” and “X5R” respectively, right?

I believe you will find that just about any multilayer Ceramic Capacitor (MLCC) will be orders of magnitude better than this. It will be hard to spot in many data sheets because they are generally so good it’s not a consideration. You can calculate it from the Q factor of the part. A bigger concern is peak current rating, also generally poorly specified.

Why aren’t you using the reference design part? If you don’t understand the problem well enough to specify the parts yourself, this is the route you should go. You should also slavishly follow the layout recommendations if you don’t understand the requirements. If you didn’t, there’s a good chance that the part will not matter.

Oz

1 Like

The OP is long gone. And it’s better that way :-0

Thanks to everybody who joined this topic.
I presented the question to my students (still more than a year away from graduating). The first one got the solution within less than 30 seconds.
They had a lot of fun with the comments afterward.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.