Can't update PCB from schematic

Dear

I always geht the message that PCBNEW ist startet in the stand alone modus.
I should create a new project or start it from the project manager.
The Layout is part of my project like the schmatic.
Where is the mistake I have made?
I would like to use the update function.
Importing the metlist is btw. no problem.

Best regards

Martin

If you want to work in a project (schematic + pcb layout) you should start KiCAD, select your project or start a new one and open the schematic and/or layout from there.

If you launch pcbNew directly, it opens in standalone mode, as you noticed, where the schematic and the pcb layout are not necessarily connected.

In short, you have to start KiCad as KiCad, not as Pcbnew (PCB Editor) or Eeschema (Schematic Editor). How you do it depends on your operating system and how you have installed KiCad. Give more background information, including the OS and KiCad version, and we can give more help.

Thank you for your reply.
I have a kicad project with both files in it.
I start the schemativ or pcbnew from the project exprorer with a double click.
Never the less kicad thinks that I have startet pcbnew as standalone.

How can I tell jicad that the files are in the project?
It seams that it doesnt work for me.

Regards

Martin

Please copy and paste your version info here by using Help -> About -> Copy Version Info.

Application: KiCad
Version: (5.1.10)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.71.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1g (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.41.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.73.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.71.0
Compiler: GCC 10.2.0 with C++ ABI 1014
Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Your project file is Multi_I_O_board.pro (seen in the left hand panel). However, you content files are Multi_IO_board _project .xxx. The project file and the schematic/pcb files should have identical names.

OK :slight_smile:
Thank you!
It works now.

1 Like

I supposed that project finds/creates its schematic/PCB by using its own name.
I’m surprised that if I change the PCB file name it is still seen as belonging to project. Never tried it before.

That’s a correct supposition, and KiCad doesn’t change the names. The original poster can clarify, but I suppose the .pro project file name was changed manually.

Currently KiCad relies on this naming convention, and also the fact that there can be no several pcb files for one project is related to this. The file names aren’t stored inside the files. This may change in the future.

Not 100%. KiCad creates files by project name, but not finds them that way. It was what I was trying to point. If I change PCB file name it is still listed as a part of project. If KiCad would search the files having the same name as project than my PCB file after I changed its name would not be listed.

The fact it’s listed doesn’t mean it’s part of the project.

But it is not listed next to but under the project name. For me that means that it is a project part. That is my understanding of nested folders structure. May be not accurate to this days as a current discussion:

The project view lists also all pdf files blindly, but it can’t possible know if they are part of the project or not. It just tries to be helpful. It’s also possible to store non-project schematic or pcb files in the same folder structure, but again, KiCad doesn’t know if they actually are part of the project in some way.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.