Can't open boards designed with nightly in stable (5.1.4)

Hello Rene!

Thanks for the info.
However, I’m stuck. I have downloaded a nightly build because it corrected some kind of bug, I don’t
remember which one. But now I have produced some boards, and I need to restore them, so I don’t have
choice but mixing files using a text edifor. That said, I don’t mix that much since now I copy a large
part of the file up to the net definitions. I found out that I need to leave the “(general” part, but beside
this I copy a large block. I also noticed that the syntax has changed, it needs less “” than it did before.

So to summarize:

1. Make a PCB with a single part with 5.1.4
  2. From the old file, copy the “(general” block at the beginning.
  3. Copy all from the new file until the nets
  4. Replace all in the old file until the nets with what you copied in (3).
  5. Replace the “(general” block with what you have saved in (2).

And that should work.

Pascal

There may be cases where " wasn’t needed but optional and older versions write them, but newer versions don’t write them. They may still be compatible.

I confirmed that my instructions are accurate (but maybe not clear). I took an existing 5.1.4 project, opened the PCB file with pcbnew from the latest nightly build (in my case kicad-nightly-20190830-154600-63a85e203-10_14.dmg), saved it, changed the first line back to: (kicad_pcb (version 20171130) (host pcbnew “(5.1.4-0-10_14)”) and then removed the lines with (max_error 0.005) and the ENTIRE section afterwards starting with (defaults. I was then able to open it again in 5.1.4. See the image for details. This should work for you.

Hello!

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that makes sense. I copied a lot more than that, but maybe it works
with the strict minimum. As there were many different syntax details that were changed, as the
quotes (see above), I choosed to change the whole first section.

Thanks!

Pascal

Quotes were always supprted. The were just never generated unless necessary. This was discovered to be error prone. The next version will therefore always generate quotes.

Thank you! Your post helped me.

The current nightly version has a different behaviour for filling zones so double check all zones of files you backport.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.