Cannot dismiss update messages

Hello, I just installed the latest version of Kicad, the 7.0.6, and I have some questions.
At each start-up of Kicad a window opens to indicate a follow -up by the designers in the event of a crash, I click on “yes” but at the next start you must re-validate the choice !!! How to delete this message?

Subsequently this message is followed by another message for the update of the plugins, same observation !!! How to deactivate this message too?

Thank you for your suggestions.
Vincent.

Made title more informative

Does this thread help at all ?

Sorry @retiredfeline better now !
Thanks @RaptorUK RaptorUK but not really in relation.
When starting Kicad, under Preferences, I try to uncheck :

Under Data Collection : I agree to provide anonymous reports but after a restart this is automatically validated …

Did you try running KiCAD with Admin rights ?

Yes, I’m the only user on my laptop and account is set to admin.
But with Windows we never know !

I believe the correct procedure is to install as admin, but run it as a normal user.

1 Like

@retiredfeline : Done, but the same !

Something on your computer is preventing kicad from writing files to the correct location but letting it “read” from the non-existent location.

Bizzare behavior to debug :confused:

KiCad tries to store it’s configuration in %APPDATA/kicad/7.0 try and paste this in explorer, it should jump to the folder.

In that folder, kicad_common.json should exist.
Inside of that file

"do_not_show_again": {
    "data_collection_prompt": true,

This section should exist, when you accept/reject the data dialogs, “data_collection_prompt” should be true

1 Like

Hi everyone
I install Kicad 7.0.6 (current), but every start i receive 2 question on first open of the day:
1)Participate … your schema never will be uploaded?
2)Would you like to automatically check for plugin updates on startup?
Why is this and how i can fix? Any clue will be appreciated.
Best Regards

In my case, i have my documents folder shared with OneDrive for backup in the modality (allways on local for all folders and files)

As i know the documents was renamed to
C:\Users{Local User}\OneDrive - {company} \Documents
Is possible that the prefferences jump the new location in some moment

Did you already try everything that was suggested in the posts above ?

My case is similar to Vivalv case. I am the only user and i am admin. I add some information about Onedrive because i think that is important. Is possible that kicad store prefferences in Documents folder and retreive from Onedrive ( or viceversa)

Have a look in the APPDATA folder mentioned, see if you can create a new txt file in there using Notepad, if you cannot then it’s a user permission issue. If you know how, have a look at the kicad_common.json file to see what user permissions exist for that file.

Using:
%APPDATA%/kicad/7.0
go to
C:\Users{myusername}\AppData\Roaming\kicad\7.0

In the folder i find the file and inside file i found:

"do_not_show_again": {
    "data_collection_prompt": false,
    "env_var_overwrite_warning": false,
    "scaled_3d_models_warning": false,
    "zone_fill_warning": false
  },

And today did not appear the anoining popup. Solved for me. Thanks for all help.

Windows can´t find %APPDATA/kicad/7.0. Check spelling and try again.

but i find the kicad/7.0 inside onedrive documents without

1 Like

If you paste %APPDATA%/kicad into File Explorer it should find it . . .

. . . . and resolve it to

1 Like

Dear Raptor,
Yes you are right. Best Regards
Christian

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.