Cannot connect two components and can't figure out why?

The trace won’t connect for some strange reason. It just WILL NOT get near the capacitor? Why would this be the case? There are no traces blocking the route and there are no “no go zones” preventing the connection. Any ideas? It’s very urgent please. TIA

From a different angle. It refuses to even get close to the pin!

Change the routing mode to Highlight Collisions. Then you can more easily see what’s the problem. You can even allow DRC violations and the run DRC check to find the problem.

Problem Solved. THANK YOU!

Can you tell where the problem was? So that others may benefit from this, too.

There seemed to be some kind of bug. when highlighting the collisions, there seemed to be MULTIPLE collisions around the connection terminal and I have no idea why? I thought that it might have something to do with the power planes and so I removed the power planes from the area, but it made no difference. But when I opted to ignore the collisions, it fixed the problem. I Ran the DRC and nothing seemed to be wrong with the connection… very weird…

It’s because of the rounded corner.

This bug has been recognised and fixed in 5.1.4.

You don’t mention your version but I would guess that you are using an earlier 5.1 version?

1 Like

I believe you are referring to the rounded corner on the Edge.Cuts layer, correct?

If I correctly recall the explanation of that bug, it goes something like this:
KiCAD does not allow routing a trace outside the board outline (defined in the Edge.Cuts layer). In fact, a copper feature must have a gap between the copper and the outline, determined by the DRC “Clearance” for the trace’s net. When the board outline includes an arc, the routing algorithm incorrectly prohibits copper from the entire circle that the arc is taken from.

Like @John_Pateman said, the developers quickly identified the error and corrected it in a later version.

Dale

This problem:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.