Cannot assign correct footprint

I’m trying to assign footprint to an LM324 quad op amp and KICad only allows me to assign DIP footprint. The LM324 comes in 4-5 packages but there is no way to assign any of them. How can I make Kicad accept the footprints I chose?

Could you be more specific? What do you mean with “it does not accept the other footprints”?

Did you already read How can i assign a footprint to a symbol?

The options are DIP only. When I try to chose other packaging such as SOT (left column), I get a blank list on the right column. Nothing. I can only assign DIP.

It’s because of the filters you have selected in:
The link Rene posted: How can i assign a footprint to a symbol? explains it all in detail and also has some alternate methods to assign footprints.

Bad GUI. Thanks for the help.

Highly subjective comment

Also remember: The more powerful a tool is the less likely it is that a user can use this power without being prepared to read a few tutorials or books (Try to use catia or altium without taking a very expensive course and see how far you get)

Plus the problem is that the default filters assume you have both the symbol and footprint lib at the same version. You still use version 4 footprints but it looks like you have version 5 symbols so i guess this is your true problem:

1 Like

Oops, indeed. I overlooked that.

Highly condescending comments.

Maybe, but it doesn’t take away the fact that saying “bad GUI” is highly subjective. Not that I would disagree with you much - I don’t like the Assing Footprints dialog (or application) GUI. This is my subjective opinion.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.