Can we PLEASE edit multiple symbol pins at once?

In Finland the original floppy was “lerppu” which would be something like “droopy” (= “floppy”) in English. The smaller isn’t of course floppy at all and was called “korppu”, “rusk”.

Hey, wow. I didn’t even think about right-clicking on the columns of the pin table to be able to add or remove fields. Thank you for this.

1 Like

Yeah, but there is a quirk that I hadn’t even approached yet (though @mf_ibfeew touched on it). The insertion point of pins (the X position and Y position) is where the connection to outside the symbol is made. Simply shortening the pin will leave the graphical pin unconnected from the rest of the symbol’s graphics. One would need an external script (at least until EESchema and the Symbol Editor finally get a Python API) with some smarts to avoid having to go back and touch each symbol individually to move pins. i.e. a simple search and replace in a text editor will provide less than optimal results.

I imagine it would be as simple (?) as knowing how much the pin is shortened, know what direction the pin is pointing, and then adjust the x position or y position to suit. (Thankfully diagonal pins aren’t a thing in KiCad or one would need to invoke the SOH CAH TOA gods.) The script should probably also throw a warning to the user if that adjustment moves the pin connection end off of the 0.05" grid (or user supplied grid) so the user can then go and fix those symbols by hand before trying to use them in a schematic and have trouble connecting wires. This should would allow for batch processing entire libraries at a time.

Note, I’m not volunteering to write this script. This was only a thought experiment for me. :wink:

Because menu and dialog options will proliferate until there are more options than users. Eventually, the interface and functionality become clunky and bug-ridden.

There are certain “core” things which the main dev team needs to maintain.

However, I would really like to see more features and feature requests kicked out to a much more extensive “public plugin library” that holds a lot of the “auxiliary” features that people would like. The fact that people aren’t generating features like these with the Python scripting system makes me wonder if something isn’t missing on that front.

1 Like

The quick answer to what’s missing to make something like that possible is the Python API redesign that is currently taking place. Currently there is no schematic editor API at all, but both schematic and PCB editor are getting a new unified system. Currently slated for release with version 7.

I have been working on this…

This commit makes it so the pin lengths correctly change pin location when they are changed:

You can combine this with another 7.0 feature (not sure who wrote it) to edit all the lengths at once:

4 Likes

Hi @mikebwilliams

Fabulous work!
Please place a copy of the above post in this thread if able. It is a developers only thread.
Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.