Bug with symbol library 5.99?

Well…I just found that my pins were somehow set to “invisible”. This seems strange because I think I have used the symbol before. But anyway that was easy to fix…fingers crossed hoping that the below is resolved.

Also I get "This file was created by an older version of KiCad. It will be converted to the new format when saved. " But it was created with 5.99 from January.Bobs_Power_Switching_ICs.kicad_sym (31.6 KB)

I have attached the project folder. EDIT: I have also now uploaded my symbol library folder.

Bug test June 27 2021a.zip (11.8 KB)

My previous version was:kicad-r20283.6cc39d8011-x86_64-lite

This is my present version:
Application: KiCad Schematic Editor (64-bit)

Version: (5.99.0-11161-g70ac70f360), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.74.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19041), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Jun 27 2021 18:00:26
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,STL containers)
Boost: 1.75.0
OCC: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.74.0-DEV
ngspice: 34
Compiler: Visual C++ 1928 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I also have struck this warning more than once.
I just assumed that, being a development program, last weeks 5.99 was an older version than this weeks 5.99.

I , however, would not be at all perturbed if my assumption is corrected by anyone.

There was a couple of bug that needed fixed and the had to increase the file version:

Thank you, Ulises and Janek K.

I take this to mean that the new file formats are not backwards compatible to older 5.99 builds… I am not sure that it matters to me, but if there is such backwards incompatibility, does it apply to pcb only or schematic also?

There are some changes in the PCB format, but it can be hacked back to a previous version with a text editor.

Not so for the schematic. File format has been completely changed to a new “S-expression” format and is very much different from older versions.

I do not know about the library formats.

1 Like

Thanks, paulvdh. With fingers crossed, I will say that for my purposes, forward compatibility ought to be adequate. Sometimes we need to let bygones be bygones. I did like the particular build that I was using.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.