BOM not responding

Good morning, I’ve been fighting the BOM this morning and don’t seem to see anything related to this issue when doing a simple web search.

I’ve tried restarting the system and nothing seems to have happened.

Also I’ve got a BOM from a previous date it looks like but it’s obviously not accurate.

I’m not going to try and use a scrip to do this until certain bugs are fixed within the software regarding the ease of use of python and it’s scripts.

Thanks in advance for you’re help and guidance…

~SGG

What BOM tool are you using?

The one that shown in the schematic screen ( Eschema). Blue box with white lettering and a USD sign above it.

Did you start one of the plugins and nothing happens or did your press the “generate” button without a plugin? Or does kicad hang before you even get to the dialog where you could press the generate button?

You might want to read this: How to create a bill of materials (BOM)?

Yeah there are no plugins that I see, which is silly.

Also I recall that I had another design and was able to install KiCad and not install plugins either and got a BOM, therefore it may be “hanging” due to something else.

However with the same behavior after a system reboot, it seems to me that it’s more of a KiCad issue, however new computers seem to be letting me down in ways that I can’t begin to elaborate on.

It might just be that the way kicad is installed changed. I remember that in the past there where plugins added by default. The current installers do not seem to do this so one needs to manually add them. Follow the tutorial i linked and report back if you still have trouble.

Hmm I’ve added various methods of generating a BOM and I see that is successfully completed the operation, however I don’t see any change in the file that’d I’d already had generated. There is however a .csv file that seems to have been generated and has a question mark icon as it’s associated picture.

I’ll also note that when I “generate” the screen does seems to reliable go to the (Not responding) state.

Note: the files do seem to be created however the do not show in the project file list, rather only in the specific system file folder where the data is targeted.

csv stands for comma separated values. such a file can either be viewed in a text editor or imported into a spreadsheet program (Excel, libre office calc, …)

Yes, yes, I’ve tried opening them and it’s a file with a size of 0.

Also the scripts that seem to be working are generating an xml file and whatnot.

The scripts that are to generate a .csv file return an I/O error.

The xml file is always generated. This is what kicad it self generates. (The plugins then convert this xml data into something useful) Does this file contain information? (If not then kicad hangs at this stage. If it does then the plugin hangs)

Could you post the exact error message please?

Note: the file path is correct.

Run command:
xsltproc -o “Z:/…………………/……………./……………./………………/………”

Command error. Return code 11
Error messages:
I/O error : Invalid argument
I/O error : Invalid argument

Ah, I remember reading that I’d need to install this “xsltproc” to make some things work. I’d be nice if there were a explicit notification that this is what it missing.

However I am not on Linux, rather windows 10.

oh you added one of the xsltproc commands instead of a python one.

Well the command structure for that should be as follows:
xsltproc -o "%O.csv" "/usr/share/kicad/plugins/bom2csv.xsl" "%I" (replace /usr/share/kicad/plugins/bom2csv.xsl with your path to the xsl file keep %O and %I unchanged)

Edit: sorry add .csv after %O to get the resulting file to have the correct file ending

Ah, rather I needed to open directly from the excel program to associate the file that is generated from KiCad.

Odd way of going about the file generation and association.

I’ll give you’re way a try as well.

Thank you kindly for the guidance.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.