Block selection tools in Kicad 6

Hello,

Kicad 5 had the nice feature in the schematic editor to allow to copy a selected block directly when you hold shift while you did the selection. You also could delete the block while you hold shift+ctrl during the selection. Finally one was able to also drag the blog with holding ctrl. Now I moved to Kicad 6 and at least this old workflow does not work anymore. is it completely gone and do I have to adjust to ctrl+c, ctrl+v and Del or is it just hidden in some settings I have not found yet?

Yes. This was done to standardize with other applications.

1 Like

ok sad news but I will start to adapt then, thank you.

Bit of a side channel:

I’m running Linux Mint, and a well known bug/limitation is that it is very hard to resize windows (Apparently only with some of the themes), and the solution given is to use [Alt + RMB] (Right mouse button). In itself this works beautifully, but it needs two hands which is a significant nuisance.

Every now and then I have an interest in a better input device then a standard mouse, but I refuse to pay EUR60 or more for a mouse that is also just a 50ct piece of plastic and bit of electronics.

One of my possible solutions would be to get a relatively cheap mouse but with decent electronics and then make the rest myself. In the end this mouse would have:

• The mouse electronics itself of course.
  • Built in USB hub.
  • Microcontroller with macro keyboard functionality.
  • Maybe extra external USB and uSD connectors.

There are already quite a lot Open Sourced keyboard projects, so putting extra buttons on a mouse and making them work is mostly a mechanical problem.

It’s also a problem of how many of such buttons you can put on a mouse, remember their functions (with reprogramming for different PC programs) and where to put them so you can still use the mouse without pushing buttons automatically.

It’s a matter of principles.

I’m not paying EUR60 for a mass produced item that costs EUR5 to make, while spending 200 hours making a custom mouse with custom software for my personal needs is a hobby, and different rules apply.

If this continues I’ll split this off. As it is, the original thread was done after 3 posts so derailing it isn’t really an issue.

2 Likes

I think the actual question was already answered, but I explained the difference in KiCad 6: Just published my BIG *preview* review - #44 by eelik.

Yes, please. The question was answered satisfactorily.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.