Before giving up on Kicad one last attempt: ERC misery

Even stranger is that i get a report for R13 on both pins.

And tools -> update pcb from schematic hangs with this board. (no output at all.) So something seems to be wrong with it (or kicad)

Thank you, will do that. But maybe I made a mistake with the part I made in Kicad? although I cannot see what the mishap could be. The R13 resistor error was also very strange to me… tried to delete and redraw many times.

Thank you all for your valuable time!
Erik

1 Like

When starting Cvpcb i get a strange error:

How did you assign footprints?

I did not… I do not need to make a pcb, I only need a netlist for Veecad.

Veecad need a netlist with very specific footprint labels.

Veecad is a strange but helpful program to make stripboard projects.

It needs a netlist to help place the parts.

I want to use this so others can build the design with more ease, no need to order a pcb for such a simple project.

Right. I tried replacing that with the bog standard version but no change. Adjusting pin types similarly doesn’t affect it. So this is a unique board configuration that KiCad should handle but doesn’t really. Always good to get unique cases.

If find 6 downloads of OP’s project withing 20 minutes (apparently of different people willing to invest time in helping) pretty impressive to start with.

There seem to be multiple issues going on here.
2 of the DRC errors are about “unspecified pins” and according to the (default) ERC rules any connection to these always resulst in warnings.

I fixed these 2 by setting all pins of the On/Off switch to passive in the symbol editor.

Then I changed the output type of TSR_1-2450 to “Power Output” and added a PWR_FLAG to the GND net, which got rid of some other ERC errors.

These were the “normal” ERC errors that OP should fix anyway, and I now have 8 ERC errors left, all of the same type and related to the real bug.

1 Like

No mistake that I can see. And even if there is one, KiCad shouldn’t be telling you the resistor is unconnected here. If there is an issue with the net, it should be specific about that issue.

The only real reports are on R13 and the ones on the global labels Rx, Tx and Reset. Everything else can be ignored for now.

Sorry misread your answer, great solution!!

but about the other errors:
I tried to disable ALL option of the ERC but no difference!

agreed, the power flags are my bad, have to figure out how that need to be sorted yet.
But setting all ERC options ‘off’ and still getting error does confuse me so that’s why I spent the last 2 day searching for a solution

The checks done for not connected and power pins driven is always done and not part of that matrix.

I found out that there really is something strange with that schematic in general.
I assigned random footprints to it to continue testing. The resistor R13 really is not connected on the board if i import the connectivity information.

I also noticed that the crystal is not connected to anything for some reason.
This is another very strange thing. If i remove the resistor R13 then i can no longer use the highlight net tool on these wires.

@Rene_Poschl, @Seth_h

on a new schematic no problem so I’ll have to redraw that part I think?

Also, the entire arduino chip (A1) is listed in the NETLIST without any ports connected although there are no error om most ports.

As said, maybe I have to start from scratch, maybe the schematic is corrupted in a way I cannot understand.

I’ll have to log off, thanks again evrybody for your help. Let me know please if I still have to file a bug report? Will try tomorrow to start with a clean sheet…

What was the original source of that schematic anyways? I wonder if it was orignally created in a very old version of kicad as there are strange footprint assignments.

Or did you use the version 5 eagle import? (The small GND label next to the cap near the crystal leaves me to believe this is a possibility.) Or did you (or somebody else) use a pre version 5 nightly to import this project?

To OP: I fixed a few small & simple beginner mistakes. The remaining are very weird and may very well be a bug in KiCad. Making all boxes green in the ERC check matrix is a very bad idea because it completely disables ERC checks. The remaining 8 ERC errors are not related to this.

When you hover over R13 and then drag it with “g” the wires are clearly attached.

Then I deleted the resistor and added an inductor taken directly from the default library, and attached it to diferent wire segments of the same net, and it still gives ERC errors on the newly placed inductor:

That is what @eelik already reported above :wink:

The problem seems to be connected to the crystal or capacitor symbol but i can not find anything wrong with them.

I deleted most of the schematic, and found it strange I did not get “not connected” ERC errors on the ARDUINO_UNO_R3_DIP while running ERC.

(Placed an unconnected NPN next to it for reference)

The problem seems to be with the ARDUINO_UNO. Wen I look at it in the symbol editor all pins are set to passive and they should generate ERC errors on unconnected pins.

I deleted all wires near the crystal/cap/R13 constellation and made new ones only between the caps and the crystal. I can not use the highlight net tool to hightlight these connections. But if i delete and replace it with a copy of the resistor i can highlight the wires again.

But as i can not find a reason as to what is going on i guess a massive bug in kicad is somehow triggered by this schematic. (I seem to remember a similar report a long time ago. We never really figured out what caused it.)