Applying finishing touches to PCB

Alternatively plot non-mirrored image, transfer and etch on single-side board, then mount widgets through from non-copper side.

Create a subdirectory of your project directory. You can name it anything, but it has to end in .pretty. I often name it myLibrary.pretty. Move the .kicad_mod file into this directory.

In PCBNew, from the “Preferences” menu, choose “Footprint Libraries Manager”. Then add ${KIPRJMOD}/myLibrary.pretty to the “Project Specific Libraries” tab, like this:

Next, click the “Add footprints” button, which looks like this:

footprint-button

Now click where you want the logo to go. The “Load Footprint” dialog will appear. You can click “List All”, and then choose your logo from the list.

1 Like

Every manufacturing process has a minimum trace width.
If you want to etch at home with minimum tools your minimum tracewidht is probably pretty wide.
Therefore I recommend to make all your traces at least 2x the width they are now.

And put those decoupling & bulk capacitors in.
If they are not in the tutorial, then the tutorial is wrong (for designing a working board).
The tutorial is clearly meant only for having something to do while explaining KiCad.
In the real world these capacators are mandatory. Even much more important than the GND plane.

About Logos:
Somewhere in KiCads foot print library there are some nice “made with KiCad” logo’s.

I think that sums it up.

Thanks very much. I appreciate the work that went into your reply.

Two more things which haven’t worked so far.

1. When I plot the board the outer, rectangular, border does not appear. I did intent to use that border as a guide to calculating the size correction scale. How do I get that to print?
  2. The little circles in the corners were intended to show the location of hold-down screw holes. No luck with them either. How do I indicate where screw holes should go?
    Thanks

There is a library called “Mounting_Holes” with footprints for different sized holes.

You can draw the holes on your schematic and then assign footprints, or you can add the footprints to PCBnew as separate compoments.
In the second case you should fix or lock their positon to prevent them from being removed when a new netlist is being imported.

And still:
Put those caps in.
It will give you some practice in modifying schematics and updating the PCB with your revised design.

Especially when edging your own board. As then you typically do not have the luxury of plated through holes.

Would work but that is a dirty bodge. It should not take you too long to remake these few connections on the bottom side.

There is one situation I can think of, if you are using photo-couplers (opto isolators) for isolation tracks under the IC can compromise the isolation clearances.

1 Like

That is correct! I forgot about that one; it’s been over 10 years since I used an optocoupler where that degree of isolation was required.

The requirements can get even more severe than simply traces under the IC body. Sometimes an optoisolator comes in a package which is the size of a 6- or 8-pin DIP, but only the end pairs of pins are present. The center section of the package, where you would expect to find a pair (or two pairs) of pins is empty, to increase the physical isolation distance between conductors. That wide open space is begging to have traces run through it but it’s really a no-man’s land.

And for the most extreme isolation requirements you may be required to cut out a section of the PC board itself under the IC body, so that leakage currents can not flow across the surface of the PCB. At this time, you can not create a footprint of this style in KiCAD, because the Edge.Cuts layer (where the cutout must be placed) is not accessible from the footprint editor. Perhaps this case is adequate justification for removing that limitation . . .

Dale

You tend to remember mistakes…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.