Any chance YouTube video's will be made on how to use Wings3D to make components?

Hi,

I’m not a “wintered” user of Wings3D but I thought it would be a good idea to also create video’s on how to make 3D shapes of components. One component I wanted to create, is a normal, standard TO92 body for a regular transistor, like the BC546 (to name one).
There exists a TO92 body in the standard KiCAD distribution (called t092.wings/t092.wrl), but that component does not have its legs in a row, as most of these components have (at least, the BC546’s and the likes).
I already tried to create a variant of the existing TO92 body, until now without success… :frowning:
Hence, my question on one or more courses about Wings3D, showing how to make such things as a modified TO92 case.

Best rgds,
–Geert

Can’t say I’ve ever tried it. The 3D viewer has always been a bit of an extra for me so I don’t rely on it too much. I can give it a shot at some point in the future, but probably can’t guarantee a date.

I think this tutorial looks promising - not a video though.

There seems to be plenty of wings3d youtube videos, and with the tips from the above tutorial I think you should be good to go :smile:

Looks promising, will give it a try!

if you not afraid of new software and a ‘little extra learning’ check out my ‘guide’:
i use FreeCAD to basically generate my parts. with some extra work in blender and finaly wings3d to convert to the fileformat that KiCad likes…
its a longer work-flow but there for you can really accurate design your parts in FreeCAD with an parameter driven design…

have fun :slight_smile:

If you can write Python scripts then I recommend not using Wings3D. It was easier for me to write specialized tools for creating 3D models than to use Wings3D:

kicad3dmodels.sourceforge.net

In fact the QFN/DFN/SOIC/TQFP 3D models by Michal Stec were recently rebuilt using these tools and the former workflow of OpenSCAD -> STL -> Wings3D -> VRML was thrown away.

You can model a TO-92 package with the leads in any shape you want using these tools.

1 Like