An eternal issue with linux softwares

Hello thanks for your answer, but when you spend few hours to solve a problem and I don’t find the answer, I think that I feel little angry…

Hello thanks for your answer, It’s true but you can give a “light library” with “common footprints” and “common 3d models” to start. I spent few hours to solve my library problem and I don’t succeed and I don’t use the software…

Hello thanks for your answer, I use Linux Mint, the latest version. I installed Kicad 5.1.2 without problems (I can lunch the software but I don’t have any library…)

But How can I install the library?

Thanks

Google “linux mint install kicad”. Klick first link. Follow advice. In your case, I think the following advice is key:

sudo apt install --install-suggests kicad
3 Likes

Thanks but I already do this, I select Kicad for Mint and installed it, but This software didn’t find the library. When I want to start a new project, it ask me with that : Configure Global Symbol library and I try to change the pathway, I downloaded library from github…And nothing work.

It is not enough to do

sudo apt install kicad

Are you sure you used –install-suggests ?

1 Like

I understand that, your not the first or last one. I get angry, too, with many applications including KiCad. But pouring out anger in internet makes other people angry and the response is negative. I don’t know if you have read this forum for some time, but if you have, you have seen that every now and then someone begins their communication by mocking KiCad or Open Source in general. Sometimes it ends up well when feelings cool down, sometimes not.

People who have used several commercial EDA packages tell that they are often worse than KiCad in some respects. And as was already said the ready made component libraries can never be trusted without reservation, and no library is complete with every imaginable component. Making my own symbols and footprints is part of my daily job, there’s no way around that.

2 Likes

I will try again with install suggests but I’m sure I already did that.

[quote=“eelik, post:9, topic:17091”]
I understand that, your not the first or last one. I get angry, too, with many applications including KiCad. But pouring out anger in internet makes other people angry and the response is negative. I don’t know if you have read this forum for some time, but if you have, you have seen that every now and then someone begins their communication by mocking KiCad or Open Source in general. Sometimes it ends up well when feelings cool down, sometimes not
[/quote] I don’t pouring out my anger, but it’s always the same problem. As VLC player, I asked : Why I can’t play a DVD in my computer with VLC? The answer : Because you need a library…What is the purpose of VLC player if I can’t play a DVD…So it’s the same problem with Kicad. What is the purpose of this software if I haven’t a library, I can’t draw a schematic, I can"t make a PCB…

I use :
sudo apt install --install-suggests kicad

And I have the same problem COnfigure Globale Symbole library, so I give up thanks and good bye

What does

apt list |grep kicad-lib

output?

Original poster already gave up so I’m only posting as a warning for future. What you are suggesting is bad advice. Libraries package is already listed as recommended in main kicad package. Recommended packages are installed by default with apt* utilities (there is a flag and config option to avoid that if you prefer but default is to install recommended). Installing suggested packages will pull in gigabytes of mostly irrelevant stuff.

2 Likes

“Library” in an EDA package is a different concept than a library which plays DVD in VLC. The latter is a binary library, part of the runnable program, which does something (instead of being data for the program). The DVD playing library isn’t included by default because of licence, patent and/or freedom reasons. The KiCad’s libraries on the other hand are just packaged in different packages.

There are quite clear instructions here for Mint users: https://launchpad.net/~js-reynaud/+archive/ubuntu/kicad-5.1. I would just try this:

• kicad-symbols, kicad-templates, kicad-footprints, kicad-packages3d: if you want to manually select what library to install.

You want kicad-symbols, kicad-footprints and possibly kicad-packages3d.

2 Likes

OK. For some reason, his install failed.

Are we sure? The poster never told us how they determined that there are no libs.

He mentions github in the first post, so it seems he did not use the standard apt download. And perhaps he didn’t follow installation instructions for that case, so that kicad can’t find libraries. And then, having installed via apt, libraries are still not found? Is library location (in this case, erroneously) retained in the user config?

But yes, there is too little to go on.

Or theystill have v4 configs surviving.

It’s been discussed many times before, but KiCad sorely needs a simple way for users to download and install content, and have it work in KiCad without further configuration. I read through @Rene_Poschl’s excellent FAQ entry, and wow… that’s a lot for a new user to take in. Especially if they don’t have a good grasp of English.

The time the user knows least about the program’s concepts (symbols, footprints, libraries, global tables etc) is when the user gets dumped into the inner workings of KiCad config - before even running the program!

Any objective viewer would say this is a terrible way to onboard users. But the devs hand off the problem to packagers, and no-one has a priority for new users. The connection between KiCad and it’s content is very disjoint.

I’ve seen little interest in KiPi, which if something like it was implemented would solve a lot of problems for new users, as well as more advanced users.

2 Likes

Could I make a few suggestions here,

1. If you expect help with a problem, DON’T use the foul language as used in his original question, even if some of it is replaced by x’s
  2. Clearly the simple solution to his problem is to complain to the person holding the gun to his head forcing him to use Kicad or any Linux software!

I have installed Kicad on more Linux systems than i can remember & NEVER experienced the problems he claims to be having, but I simply followed the instructions to the letter every time. It sounds to me that he is coming from an MS background.

2 Likes

This is probably the best answer. The official packages are usually pretty far behind the curve with this software.

1 Like

Just to make it clear: the official kicad packages for any Linux system are not under the control of kicad developers. They are determined by the release cycle of the linux distribution. (And by extension by the maintainers of the distribution. )

3 Likes

I may be wrong but I guess the OP was confused at the first run of the kicad.

On very first run, kicad prompts that it has created an default sim-lib-table and provides option to go ahead with default or start with empty sim-lib-table.
I guess its not the issue if libs got installed or not but regarding libs getting listed/detected automatically at first run.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.