Altium to KiCad not exporting full defined circuits to pcb editor

Hello @jmk thank for welcoming and fast replyin’, here’s my version.

Application: KiCad x64 on x64
Version: 7.99.0-2479-g30a6d33177, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.2
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 8.0.0
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.2.1-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.1
Platform: Windows 11 (build 22621), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
Date: Aug 30 2023 07:19:39
wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.82.0
OCC: 7.7.1
Curl: 8.2.1-DEV
ngspice: 40
Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

I’ve downloaded this version couple days ago and on website it was the last release possible in the list.
I mean, I could be the problem but i can’t explain myself why the first schematic worked so far and the other two didn’t.
I’ve applied the same work flow for every scheme… also tried to copy/paste schematics plus libraries on kicad 7 stable release and it gives me the same issue.
Maybe there’s something wrong in the schematics? Could be but so far i always managed to find a way to make the pcb. This time i can’t. everyone LMK if u know something else i don’t :joy:
Thanks everybody.

Just a thought: You did make the Libraries you imported “Global” and not “Project Specific”?

If they were project specific, only the one project will be able to read them.

Check in Preferences > Manage Symbol/Footprint Libraries.

@jmk thanks for the doubt, but “unluckily” I only use global libraries… wish was this the error I’ve made haha

Bummer :slightly_frowning_face:

I don’t have Altium to try for solutions. There are a few members who do, so I modified your Title to hopefully attract some attention

Thanks mate :heart_hands:
Let’s hope for someone who knows this program better than me or maybe who just had the same issue.
Meanwhile I’ll try drawing sketches from blank on Kicad 7 and see if i can get back to work .

For now, thanks again!!

1 Like

Hi @Beppone

If you are still around and have not noticed, this may help you.

You will need to use 7.99.

Hi @jmk, ofc I’m still sticking around :sweat_smile:… is there any specific library to download?
kicad lib error
Everytime I try to load symbols from the original Altium lib. it keeps giving me this kind of error.

Yesterday I’ve spent most of my time changing every single symb in every schematic and make it matching with a kicad compatible one, but is a hell of a work.

Ofc “NanoCube IoT WLS” is probably a specific lib. made on Altium for this project, but I haven’t made it so I don’t know how to get it…

P.S. I’m using the current 7.99 nightly release, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to import Altium’s projects at first.

The above announcement was made only four hours ago. It may be be a day or two before that feature is usable in 7.99.
Paging @Seth_h.
This fine upstanding gentleman may be able to say exactly when. :slightly_smiling_face:

@jmk Didn’t noticed it was posted few hours ago, thanks :innocent:

1 Like

Importing a schematic is a bit different than utilizing Altium libraries. When you import the schematic, it will convert everything (including symbols) into KiCad format. Because the Altium symbols do not have a library name, we make a new KiCad library called “-altium-import”. This library will exist where you save the project after importing.

But this is unrelated to Altium library loading :wink:

Sorry if this is hijacking:

I don’t think you should have to spend all the time like you suggest. When you import Altium designs (even with 7.0) it converts all the footprints from the Altium layout to footprints Kicad can use. Then you just have to export the footprints to a Kicad library and you can use it however you like.

However, I have a problem with the schematic importer, as it imports Altium harnesses as hierarchical sheets without a schematic. Has the 7.99 version improved on this? Was the intent that I go back in and add a bus inside that hierarchical schematic? I can’t find this documented anywhere.

Hi @anderwm

You may get a better response to your problem with the schematic importer if you start a new thread about that subject.

The problem in not hijacking (first paragraph is a response to OP). The problem is you not being noticed. :slightly_smiling_face:

Indeed. I thought of splitting it off in a separate topic, but there is very little information in your post. Starting a new topic gives you an opportunity to make a better description too.

As soon I’ve imported Altium’s schematics in Kicad it recognized symbols but not footprints.
Once I ran footprint assignment tool it said “no footprint are compatible with our lib”, or something like that “would u let kicad try compatible footprints for u?” ofc with no success bc these footprints are arduino related so I wasn’t expecting to find any of those.
But till then symbols were ok… as soon as I opened the project few times ERC started giving me warnings about symblos not begin recognized no more…
I’ll try now download latest 7.99 nightly release and import again the three projects ( maybe I’ve messed up the version I’m using).
do u mind explain me the process to make “altium-import” kicad’s lib?
Thank you so much.

Tbh Ander, I wasn’t able to import Altium’s related projects on kicad 7… if u did so try tell me how, thanks.

@Seth_h @jmk far enough I’ve installed the latest release found here. Downloads | KiCad EDA
Now I’m not even able to open a project since this error came up… :melting_face: :melting_face:

any ideas? thanks as usual guys

Hi @Beppone

I d not have access to Altium, so am not able to help with specifics.

Undoubtedly Seth will return, but I think he is West Coast USA, so you may have to wait a while 'till he is out of bed and alive and kicking. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

we have just those 8 hours of difference which makes it more painful :joy:

1 Like

I didn’t import the project in it’s entirety. However, I imported the schematic with eeschema and imported the layout with pcbnew. Then I saved those and created a new Kicad project with them. If you are having problems with even that, then it must be something specific to your design.

1 Like

I think the best workflow is:

1. Create a new KiCad project.
  2. Import the altium schematic and altium PCB.
  3. Use the Match by RefDes method during [F8] to connect schematic symbols with PCB footprints.

I do not understand this:

In KiCad you can only have 1 (hierarchical) schematic and 1 PCB in a project. Create a new KiCad project for each altium pcb. (Does altium support multiple PCB’s in a single project?)

1 Like