Alternate resistor symbol (KiCAD evaluation for company use)

Maybe name it R_ALT as we also have a series of ALTERNATIVE diodes and caps (or rename those) … just to keep it consistent … Let’s see if someone submits it and discuss it then …

Here is an example of a resistor US style.

r_us.lib (354 Bytes)

As I said a place to list community contributed libraries would be helpful.

I agree, each user/organization needs to do it’s own, local adaptations, but leveraging the contributions of other users can make that easier,

A start would be if some of you in need of those US symbols would start a github repo and link to it - probably in a new post on this forum.
That repo can always be forked and copied from, as long as it’s not being deleted.

How you then hook this up with the KiCAD people is another matter, but surely can wait.

And this will not work as smooth as you imagine, unless the alternative libraries are done by some common standard and scrutinized upon entry in that lib.
IMHO - it takes me the same time to make my own symbols than to review and check someone else’s work - that’s why I don’t depend on the KiCAD libs at all.

1 Like

+ that’s why accepting into the official KiCAD libs is very slow at times :wink:

2 Likes

As an old fogey just checking out KiCAD for the first time (and weaned on zig-zag resistors), I am seriously impressed with how civil this discussion is. Despite the potential for resistor symbol wars, this thread has not succumbed to the flaming rants found on some other electronics sites. Good work!

2 Likes

And lets keep it that way :cop:

1 Like

Creating a new custom “zig-zag” resistor symbol on your preferred Eeschema grid makes a great, but frustrating, user design attempt when done with the current KiCad tools. But, I think worth the effort in the end.

One of the very first things I did when I picked up KiCAD for the first time was to draft a symbol or two. OK, not really complicated symbols, but I had switched between PCB layout programs several times over the years and I learned that “library work” - drafting symbols and footprints - could consume 75% or more of the total effort on even a low- or moderate complexity project. I knew that learning to create symbols and footprints was NOT something I could put off until I had a rainy Friday afternoon without much happening in the Lab! I thought the KiCAD drawing tools were only a little more frustrating than other programs I had switched to. (Getting accustomed to the library procedures, and the libraries’ basic architecture, was another matter!)

As for the zig-zag resistor in particular, we old fogeys are not above grabbing somebody else’s work for our own benefit. Too many times we have re-invented a wheel only to discover that we forgot to round over all of the corners on our wheel. We keep our eyes open for somebody else’s wheel that seems to be rolling along smoothly. Just be sure to carry a tire gauge - no sense in stealing somebody’s wheel if it has a slow leak that could leave you flat. Old age and treachery triumphs over youth and enthusiasm, as they say.

Dale

4 Likes

Yea, I MEANT also being able to re-use them; that whole ball of yarn.

( I now know how to “yell” in bold!!!) … going to be haters everywhere…

1 Like