All identical component not showing in 3-d view

I found out that if only the 3d settings have been changed in the footprint, the footprint does not update when you use this tool.

Really? I never noticed that (unless it’s a recent bug). I frequently edit the footprint to add a 3D model then replace all instances of the footprint on the PCB layout.

I’m missing something, or you don’t understand what the issue is…

There is only one footprint for all the resistors in question…cvpcb points to the same footprint for all the resistors, but only one shows in 3d.

The footprints are the ones that came with KiCad, and were not edited or created by me.

Well maybe it’s only in my nightly build version i use. (Its half a year old. There is no new version for fedora. I should probably either compile it myself or switch to arch)

When you editing a footprint: If I understand correctly, for me that is the correct and desired behavior.
That will be the case when you are editing a specific footprint, in that case, that footprint will be copied (as a new copy) into your schematic.
The proper way would be to edit the library and request a footprint update (by reading the netlist… and update the modules)

To update the footprints you need

I’m not editing any footprints…I’m using the footprints that can with KiCad.

Well done. If the footprints are already placed in the layout, re-annotate is a suicide unless you mark the keep existing annotation option. But redoing the netlist and import the new one into the layout is something we do every day.

Could you tell us the references of the resistor footprints youu are using? With and without 3D. Maybe same name different library?

It may be the case that you changed something on schematic (re-annotated?) and then when importing it back to pcbnew it didn’t apply the changes on the existent footprints (there are rules/options for this operation)

I only have 1 library…the resistors are THT Horizontal RM10.

I tried a net list generate and I set the replace footprints option, and it removed a bunch of things it shouldn’t have, BUT the resistors showed in 3d…

This code has more bugs than most…I’m surprised it works as well as it does.

All these gotcha’s are why KiCad isn’t as accepted as some other packages. I personally like the SW, but it really is a PITA to use.

The documentation is a complete joke, and doesn’t help doing most things. For instance, I finally was able to get the push router to work by chance when I was searching for answers about something completely different. Most operations are like that. And don’t even ask about how libraries are handled…that’s a complete joke, primarily because the details of how it all works isn’t available at the level needed to really understand the nuances.

The suggestions I’ve gotten about this raise more questions than they answer, specifically asking me to edit the footprint with and without 3d…I have no idea what that means, and I’ve been a system level engineer in both HW & SW for 40 years.

I’m giving up on this particular problem…I just don’t care enough about the components not showing up to play any more…

THANKS FOR THE EFFORT.

You now that we are just other users who try to help one another?
Yes sometimes it takes time for everyone involved to understand the problem that is presented.
Especially remember that not everyone here is a native english speaker.

1 Like

Now again to your problem.

Open 3d viewer and note which component shows and which doesn’t show.
Open the footprint settings of one of the components that shows (press e) and make a screenshot of the 3d settings part of this dialog.
Repeat this for one that does not show.
Show us both of these screenshots. Maybe there is a difference you do not see.

I understand, but the frustration level is rediculous…if I do something that appears to make sense but doesn’t work logically, and the result is non-reversible, that’s really not OK.

The interaction of the options, say in the net list creation process, is not even slightly defined anywhere, and is the source of much of my frustration, along with the library crap.

Well feel free to help out. It is after all open source :wink:
For your information: version 5 (or version 6) will have a new symbol library system that is more consistent with the pcb new library system.
Everyone here knows that not everything is ideal. We can only work with what we currently have. (But yes one can dream of a magical world where every software is perfect for everyone.)
(We also understand that sometimes one needs to vent ones frustration. But try to keep it civilized.)

1 Like

@crusader27529 KiCad is mostly an opensource software project, on the opposite comparison side, it is not a product developed by a company that sells it to its customers and work to improve it to make them happy… because they paid for it.

Some of the big improvements made to KiCad (speaking from my self) was made by frustrated people that decides to contribute and improve it.

If you are an experienced engineer with lots of 10x years in the area, used to pro software product packages, I understand that maybe KiCad is not the right tool for you :confused:

KiCad is become more and more accepted and used in industry:
http://forum.kicad.info/t/is-kicad-used-in-the-industry/

Example of the Olimex laptop boards made with KiCad:

If you give another chance to KiCad I suggest you can try the technique “let’s do it all again from the beginning” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m not giving up on KiCad…

AAMOF, I got the resistors to show up…the properties did NOT show that the footprints were the ones I had chosen, so I deleted them one at a time, and re-read the net list each time, until I had deleted all the ones that didn’t show…they now show.

It’s still a PITA, but I will persist.

Cool!
As I said, I suspect something you did that was not updated (as you may expected) on the PCB.
but for me it sounds as expected.

There is one important concept on KiCad different from (as I learned) EDA tools software products:
On KiCad there is no fixed (locked) association between symbols, footprints or 3D files.
It is possible however to assign a footprint on a symbol, so when you use on schematic you can add that symbol and then you dont need to associate the footprint.

It may be the case that you were expecting that when you change something on schematic that will match immediately the footprint changes on PCB. Depending on your library that you are using (the symbol) and how you did the update (import of the netlist) it needs to have a more understanding on this step.(choosing the right options for updating or not the footprints)

• this is not a limitation of KiCad but a flexibility on its choises to the workflow.

I thought that was what the timestamp reference option in that dialog box was for (until better comes around with back/forth awareness of PCBnew/EEschema)

@crusader27529
Welcome to the party - we all have been there - I can even show you the T-shirt if you want to :smirk:

Thanks joan. I think timestamp is my default choice, but anyway I usually reannotate with keep existing annotation, just in case.