Advantages of working with custom saved Symbols only

I was just gathering my notes based on this forum topics and my own experiments.
You can find them here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XeZhEkoAvaRxvdhkERgBn7fWumktTpZoiKBsEUGfBH4/edit#heading=h.2w5ecyt

I see, thanks for showing us your work cioma

for those who don’t want to go through the whole thread … here’s a synopsis
(major thanks to jmk and all who posted)

===

CREATING CUSTOM SYMBOL LIBRARIES from existing project parts …

(i) manually create your CustomSymbol folder somewhere in your home directory, you can have sub-folders for different categories such as devices, resistors, caps, etc for example … within these folders you would have your kicad_sym library (text) files representing some sub-category (part number), in which you would have different actual symbols (with different name variations, e.g., for alternate footprints or vendor sources) as code blocks written within this library file.

(ii) the kicad_sym library files are created using the Symbol Editor and then going to file > New Library … a window pops up asking which Library table you want this library (kicad_sym text file) added to // global (accessible to all projects) or Project (only this one) … this also tells the program where to look for your library by creating an entry in the corresponding Library Table (which is found in Schematic Editor > Preferences > Manage Symbol Libraries) you will then be prompted to give the library a name (say, 2n3904.kicad_sym) and have it live in the right sub-foler (devices) and save. You can now check with a text editor, there will be kicad_sym file with a name you gave it that is more-or-less an empty shell with only a single line of code in it.

(iii) open a previously created project schematic that makes use of parts with desired settings and visual characteristics. Click on such a symbol to select and highlight then hit E to open the Symbol Properties window. Go into Edit Symbol and then Save As. You will prompted for name edit and for selecting the appropriate library (you just created) in which to store this symbol and its attributes. DON"T FORGET TO HIT SAVE AGAIN otherwise the code won’t be written into the kicad_sym library file.

you have now stored/written a custom component Symbol inside a kicad_sym library text file. You can now check with a text editor to see the lines of code added, and alter some of the settings such as the Description field.

when you add a symbol (hotkey “A”) or open the Symbol Library Browser you will see your libraries appearing as headers in the menu listing, with individual custom symbols associated with the header as sub items

(iv) Deleting a library simply involves trashing the entry inside the Symbol Library Manager and optionally removing or renaming the kicad_sym file from the local sub-folder

===

please feel free to add to this or make corrections …

custom and saved videos are very flexible and can be used well. You make them accordingly and in a perfect wat.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.