Adding Ohm symbol to schematic

:thinking: I wouldnā€™t know. Itā€™s been a long time since I asked for a particular weight of something. Many things come packaged in the supermarket (so much the worse for plastic pollution), loose produce you grab what you want and get it weighed or weigh it yourself, same in open markets. Maybe in smallgoods, which I havenā€™t bought for a while, and Ā½ kg of ham is just too much.

Maybe the look you are getting re bad English means Iā€™m only a poor peon who works here and follows orders, why not take it up with management?

Edit: If you mean the 10 items or less should be 10 items or fewer, you may enjoy this cartoon:

2 Likes

1 cL = 0.338 fluid ounces
1 dL = 3.38 fluid ounces
Itā€™s just a decimal point, nothing more, nothing less.
You can use either one, depending on the size of what it is that youā€™re measuring
No, it has nothing to do with the CGS system. However, Iā€™ve never used the CGS system, so I could be wrong.

Buy a 400 mL glass beaker, a 100 mL glass beaker, a 500 mL glass beaker, and a 5 mL glass pipette. Or just cross out the metric measurements on the recipe and write the equivalent in cups and teaspoons. I did both. One tablespoon equals 3 teaspoons, as you probably know already.

ohms works for me. I used a capitol omega once when making labels in Libre Office Writer for the labels to put on my resistor boxes. But I donā€™t care if I can do that in Kicad or not. 2.2 k-ohms is fine with me.
Please note that while k means 1000, K usually means 1024 (2^10). You probably already knew this, but I just wanted to make it explicit that K might not equal k, depending on the context in which it is used.

Putting on my pedatic hat, the current IEC abbreviation for 1024 would be Ki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobyte

4 Likes

I was thinking more indirectly. While many lay people might not be familiar with CGS or MKS, I think there may be some trickle down from the scientific/engineering community, perhaps causing laws to be written on the subject. If an American went to a local supermarket and encountered product weight in stones, someone would get stoned. (whatever that means.) Anyway this is just a weak theory.

My electronic kitchen scale can give weight in pounds and ounces. But even as an American steeped in the English system, I find these units to be a pain to work with compared to grams. If I need to know pounds and ounces I will convert to that as a last step.

But to be pedantic (??!!) grams are a unit of mass while the scale is measuring force.

When I first moved to South Korea in the early 2000s, house area was measured in a local unit called pyeong, an old system based on ā€œstandardā€ woven floor mats (similar to the Japanese tatami mats). Coming from the US at the time, we measured floor area in square feet. Just when I because comfortable understanding pyeong, as something I could relate to like sq. ft., they criminalized the use of pyeong in 2007 and everyone uses square meters now. Thatā€™s a good thing, but I have no ā€œfeelā€ when I see a room sized in sq m. When it comes to floor areas, Iā€™m stuck in the old ages with square feet or pyeong.

Now, if only we could get the IC packaging industry to go metric, I could do PCB designs in one unit of measure instead of two.

1 Like

Unfortunately process inertia is against that happening soon.

So far as I know, USA was first out of the gate with IC packages. The DIP packages all had 0.1 inch lead pitch. Then SOICs had 0.05 inch lead pitch. I guess Philips, Siemens, and Hitachi had other ideas and we were all ā€œoff to the racesā€. See the bit of industry humor about having 13 standardsā€¦

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.