Add exposed copper layer

After all the Fooling Around with ‘workarounds’ and, certainly it’s your call, but, I’d stick with my approach (above) and, you can see that I assigned a ‘NET’ called ‘woof’ to the Track and Via’s

Too simple - I leave it here…

1 Like

This solved it!

afbeelding

(bottom view, w. different color settings)

What kind of language am I looking at btw?

A netless zone is filled by default if its “Remove islands” property is “Never”.

I also tried to manually set this at ‘Never’ with the net and this also works.

Same thing but with a net.

@BlackCoffee I may not have chosen for your solution today. But I do value and appreciate your contribution. If I ever need to make something similars I may very well use it next time :wink:

I agree it is easier than what I just did, but as was already so far, I decided to follow through the chosen path.

Now I must inform a certain customer of a certain failure :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear:

Kind regards,

Bas

Heads-Up before you do it and run into problem of Track breaking up into segments after adding Via’s:

See Comment in ‘Green’ Notice the NET name on the Track and that a Via is selected and it’s NET is shown at bottom of panel

(FYI - Could also select all the broken-up tracks and make them a ‘Group’ )

Also, is it a good idea to just draw one huge non-copper zone around the entire pcb with just the Front mask layer to ensure the copper get’s tinned? What would I receive if I dont add that layer? Bare copper without any HAL/tin?

@others
I temporarily removed some layers for the 3D viewer.

The top side has nothing as you can clearly see (and precisely how my prototypes look like), the bottomside looks tinned but that is just the front paste, the thing what tricked me. As this image is sorta misleading, should there perhaps be a ‘bug’ fix or ‘feature’ request to change this??

Regards,

Bas

A ‘Mask’ blocks it from being coated with whatever…

A PCB delivered to your doorstep will have Mask/Conformal-Coating/etc up to the Pad’THT’/etc where that part of it gets soldered.

Hence, Use NOTE’s on drawing as I suggested. Been doing this stuff for more than 60 yrs… Include in Note to use HAL/Tin on Track…

ALSO, you show far too many Vias (IMHO) - easy to be fooled by looking at Monitor and thinking lot’s of room but, what’s the distance between Vias and is the Train going to haul heavy Coal/Steel or just foam peanuts and, most likely won’t have years of heavy use… :rofl:

Well I added them because I got several messages in this here thread that the via’s would add more adhesion/strength to the copper layer. So nobody can accidently rip of his tracks with the copper layers stil attached to it. The via’s themselfes are hidden underneath the rails. That is why I put em in the middle.

However…now I am thinking of it I could also place just a few via’s on only the zig-zag side ends. Thats is where all the stess will be if people are doing ‘stress full’ things with it. :thinking:

Regards,

Image below should keep fools from ripping off the tracks.

Once upon a time I designed Bone Shavers, Cutters, Saws that needed Autoclaving, Eye Surgery gizmos, Endocopes… Very well tested and proven designs.

Occasionally, one would come back destroyed by Sterilization Chemicals. “Read the instruction’s” was my/company response…

Look closely at that bottom segment of tracks, those left 4 sleepers. Those are one of those PCBs. The screws like you suggest would be ‘slightly obstructive’ to mount the tracks :rofl:

The outer holes of my design, are ment for nails, The guy wanted them to solder his PCB tracks to the nails. Some people still slam 2 nails in their train layouts and solder the rails directly onto the nails.

Regards,

Close friend is into Trains and made this layout. I designed a Controller for him (Arduino)…
He made all of the layout items… bought very few of them…

Forgive my ignorance - I didn’t realize User can Poke a Hole/Shape in the Mask by Setting the ‘Fill’ shape… Makes it simple…

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 08.51.04

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.