Active Headlights

And a mobile phone was a normal house phone attached to a long wire! :slightly_smiling_face:

Haha, you wish. They were installed at a fixed location in homes and you were not allowed to touch the wiring. :wink:

I am selecting automotive grade components for this build for the express reason of the extremely dynamic nature of the electrical systems in a vehicle.

I would like to know where someone would put a Jeep/truck style of light bar onto this car…

bolt it through the convertible top maybe?.

I hate LED headlights, the light they produce is unnatural and causes eye strain and glare. I will pass on using those. Not to mention the aftermarket ones burn out quite often because of crappy power supplies and also cheap fans they use on them to keep them cool.

HID’s are not sensitive to temperatures and voltage fluctuations like LED’s are. They also produce less heat then a halogen. I have spent close to a year designing and fabricating, I am not using cheap components in my build, everything is top shelf. 10,000 hour rated caps, any components that do not have a at least a maximum operating temperature of 150°C is getting mounted on the bottom of the board where the fan is going to be located. all resistors are 0.1%. The brackets that hold the servos and the projector is 1/8" thick x 2" wide aluminum. The servo horns are also made from aluminum. I am using high precision metal gear servos to move the projectors. Each headlamp has 2 projectors in it and each projector has 2 servos to move it. The servos are on their own power supply and can be turned off while keeping the rest of the electronics up and running. This gives me the ability to manually position the projectors in the event of a failure. I made a constant pressure friction hinge for each axis a projector moves on. So when the servos are not powered the projectors will not move. This also eliminates any servo jitter and servo slop.

The projectors are only capable of moving a total of 30° from left to right. -15° to +15°. The up down motion is even further restricted, -5° to 8°. If there is a malfunction of some kind for some reason a oncoming vehicle is going to experience the same thing as if I had my high beams on and nothing more. I don’t see people getting into very many accidents because of a passing cars high beams being left on.

The code I wrote monitors the system the entire time it is on. If something is off kilter it will position the projectors to center and it will disable the moving of the projectors.

The headlamps also are WiFi accessible. This allows me to check what is going on if there is an issue via a config web page the headlamps host.

As I already stated the modifications to the housing are done using only the same kind of plastic and no glues or adhesives were used in the modification. The plastic I used is 3 times thicker then what the original plastic is. Friction welding the pieces together has a strength that is the same as a piece that is not welded. The lens on the headlamps are unmodified and are original.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.