7.0 RC1 reporting wxpython version issues

Looks like this warning was introduced with 7.0 RC1 as I’ve not seen it before with the 6.99 nightlies. Not sure what I should do here. Do I need to upgrade my wxpython version?

Getting this error when I open schematic or PCB editor:

The wxpython python library was compiled against wxWidgets 3.0.5 but KiCad is using 3.2.1. Python plugins will not be available.

Running Ubuntu 22.10.

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.0-rc1-unknown-4274bd0bb7~164~ubuntu22.10.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.1
	FreeType 2.12.1
	HarfBuzz 2.7.4
	FontConfig 2.13.1
	libcurl/7.85.0 OpenSSL/3.0.5 zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.5.2 libidn2/2.3.3 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.2) libssh/0.9.6/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.49.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Ubuntu 22.10, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Jan  9 2023 20:33:10
	wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.74.0
	OCC: 7.6.3
	Curl: 7.85.0
	ngspice: 38
	Compiler: GCC 12.2.0 with C++ ABI 1017

Build settings:
	KICAD_USE_EGL=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

This is a known issue. I also mentioned it 5 days ago on:

Thanks. Missed that one.

Hi, what is wxPython dependency used for? In case it is only needed for plugin support for pcbnew, maybe it would be possible to make that dependency optional (when building from source)? This dependency is really problematic to build (seen this many times in forum) and can frighten away potential developers. My personal case: I can build Kicad on one of my windows PC, but there is no chance to pass “wxPython failed” stage on another PC. The only cure to build on another PC that I found is to transfer whole bunch of pre-build files from “good PC” to “broken PC”: Msvc/vcpkg changes - #63 by poco. I could live with pcbnew without plugins when building kicad.

Edit: meant to say - contributors, not developers :slightly_smiling_face:

wxPython is optional building from source. Set KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON to OFF which is ON by default :stuck_out_tongue:

Just gonna say, as developer basics 101, checking the build system and options is a place to start…, you can even use cmake -LH to get the build options and descriptions within the kicad source…

1 Like

Yes, KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON was included inside CMakeSettings.json, but currently it is thrown away from that sample file.

1. You shouldn’t hijack a old topic about wxpython in a prebuilt package on Linux vs. your issue of something to do with vcpkg and self building on Windows.
  2. The cmakesettings.json sample as its name implies is simply a sample. An end developer on Windows is expected to customize to their hearts content, you can add whatever definitions you want inside. The same way a Linux developer has to identify and manually declare any options they want on the cli when invoking cmake to configure.
  3. If you are having a wxpython build issue on Windows, you can throw me the log. I identified the last few breakages in the last few months and I can’t imagine there’s any left. (Against master, the 7.0 branch will still have issues)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.