7.0.7 has appeared in the Ubuntu PPA repo

KiCAD 7.0.7 is ready to download here:

However no official info on the website yet, nor changelog.
Should become available for other OS’s soon.

Although the general development pace of KiCad is quite amazing, a bump release happens about once a month and is not especially noteworthy, unless of course you are anxious to get rid of some bug that irritates you in the current KiCad version…

Edit:
And indeed, just like ML9104 below, on my own Linux box these updates also tend to happen during normal system maintenance updates without even noticing.

@greg_m Why do you want to download a PPA? Normal procedure is https://www.kicad.org/download/linux/ which makes further updates pretty much an automatic no-brainer.

Did my general monday system update.
Yes, it’s 7.0.7 now.
Let’s see what bugs have been fixed (and which newly introduced…).

1 Like

The page you linked says to use the PPA :slight_smile:

KiCad operates PPAs that can be used to install KiCad along with its required dependencies. We recommend that users install from these PPAs rather than the base Ubuntu repository as the latter is usually outdated.

1 Like

I saw 7.0.7 release tagged the other day.
Look in Windows Previous Releases and you will see something

The blog is waiting for other OSs to catch up - nothing is showing for Ubuntu 23.04 yet

??? you need to run an apt update, apt upgrade cycle. That’s all.

Yes, but you do not “download” a PPA. You add it to your list of repositories once, then tell your OS that you like KiCad and want to install it once. After that your OS figures out when and how to update.

This is also normal. If it’s announced on the website before the newer version is actually available, a lot of people tend to get confused. So normally it’s available for a few days before the official announcement is made.

Now I’m getting some kind of sneakin’ suspicion that I’m being a bit pedantic.

I have KiCAD PPA added to my repo. I don’t need to download anything manually. The Linux KiCAD download link you pasted mentions that exact repo. I can use the package which comes with my Linux system, but this PPA is obviously much more up-to-date.

As I already recognized, I was being a bit pedantic.
It sure would be nice though if all the “main repositories” of all Linux distributions were kept current and you would not have to deal with PPA’s at all…

And, less then a day later, the official announcement has now arrived:

1 Like

after updating to version 7.0.7 the plugins repository became inaccessible, an ssl error appears … plugins from the main repository are not available on win 10/64 … all of them?

I do not have this issue.
I just installed the “Place Footprints” plugin to try this out, and it installs without a hitch.

Application: KiCad x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.7-7.0.7~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.1
	FreeType 2.10.1
	HarfBuzz 6.0.0
	FontConfig 2.13.1
	libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux Mint 20.3, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, xfce, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Aug 13 2023 23:14:53
	wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.71.0
	OCC: 7.5.2
	Curl: 7.88.1
	ngspice: 38
	Compiler: GCC 9.4.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

Less then two hours ago I made my first bug report for V7.0.7, and it was fixed less than an hour later. So you can all go stretch your neck and try to see a shimmer of V7.0.8 appearing on the far side of the horizon :slight_smile:

KiCad does have it’s dirty laundry just like everything in life, but it get’s washed pretty quickly.
A few weeks ago I read about a guy paying over USD5000 yearly subscription fee for another EDA quite, and he had been complaining about a bug that did not get fixed, and he gave up after 3 years.

1 Like

Works for me :slight_smile:
(also Win10 / 64, will also try on Ubuntu tonight).

Also working for me on Ubuntu 23.04

Do you have a downstream proxy that is maybe giving SSL errors?

i’m not sure i’m on a work network but 7.0.6 worked fine… i’ll try at home

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.