5.99 Content Manager

I’m talking primarily about this testing phase, but also I have seen applications which hardcoded urls which don’t work, and it’s embarrassing. By “hardcoded” I mean hardcoded in the source code which can’t be removed or changed in any way by the user. Having the default repo available in the future can’t be guaranteed. I would prefer having at least some way to change or remove even the default url, be it some advanced config option or something else.

This may already give an answer to what I said.

Right. I don’t see any real reason why in this (hopefully) short phase the hole feature should be totally disabled just because the final infrastructure isn’t ready. Especially when it can be hidden behind an advanced config option.

It’s not guaranteed but we’ve taken measures to make it highly likely. It does not have hard dependencies on any backends, only on public infra and a simple redirect logic on kicad’s subdomain.

Have a bit more patience, having advance config option vs compile time option changes nothing if you can’t yet do much with the feature and I don’t want a lot of people hammering the server that hosts packages for test repo, it’s at my home and I have shitty uplink :smiley:

You say we are in a testing phase, but from my point of view we haven’t even started a testing phase yet. We haven’t even made an official announcement about this feature. Just because some code has been merged doesn’t mean that the system is ready for general testing. I echo @qu1ck, have some patience here please.

https://gitlab.com/-/snippets/2180194/raw/main/snippetfile1.txt

I think this should fix it https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/merge_requests/947

ok that worked

I added a plugin (already added so unsure) and a color theme (solarised dark selectable and works)

2 Likes

I wonder if it is worth considering some form of category metadata filtering on the plugins?

BOM, Layout, schematic. Sometimes just browsing is fine when you don’t know what you don’t know (found some interesting plugins for freecad that way). But sometimes you are after something a bit more specific but you are not sure what there is (duplicate layout --> replicate)

1 Like

Packages have tags they can use for categories and search field has smart prioritization that puts tag matches above description matches (among other things).

2 Likes

uninstall doesn’t appear to uninstall.

I “uninstalled” the solarise-dark colour theme, restarted kicad and the option to select the theme exist.
Same with interactivebom (but as mentioned, I manually installed that)

Color themes are special case. They are copied from package install location to kicad’s config dir where all color themes are. Because they are essentially config files that you can modify and they have special logic for version upgrades etc. So uninstalling doesn’t remove the config dir copy, only package contents.

The other packages uninstall as usual, ibom is still there because you still have it in the manual plugin install location.

The CM will probably be the main way for the end users to get the themes, and being able to uninstall in the same way is a fair expectation. Some kind of message while uninstalling could be enough IMO.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.