3d Viewer doesn't reflect board shape

You are now one level higher. Please try attaching again.

Board.kicad_pcb (4.5 KB)

Most of the lines of the outline are on the User.1 layer and that does not work. the outline of the PCB (and internal cutouts too) have to be on the Edge.Cuts layer.

1. Enable selection of locked items.
  2. Select all lines, arcs, circles that should be on Edge.Cuts.
  3. With **PCB Editor / View / Show Properties manager, select the layer, and set all those elements to the Edge.Cuts layer.
  4. Run DRC. It does not complain anymore about Edge.Cuts.

In addition, working with locked items is a bit of a nuisance (which it also should be). My normal method is to lock items only after I am reasonably sure the do not need any more editing.

Another addition:
Graphic lines on the same layer snap to each other. When a snap point is recognized, KiCad shows a small cross with a circle in it.

Editing arcs is a bit finicky and also depends on PCB Editor / Preferences / Preferences / PCB Editor / Editing Options / Arc editing mode. If it is set to Keep Center, Adjust Radius then the other endpoint may move when you change the first endpoint. In this case it’s easier to set it to **Keep endpoints or direction of starting point.

1 Like

Wow, This whole time I thought I was on the edge layer. I had watched a tutorial and selected it first before drawing. Anyway thanks a ton!

An example using FreeCAD sketcher into KiCad

Because of potential problems with not 90° arc graphics I just make such cuts in PCB shape by placing big hole footprint at right positions.
Really I use one case having 6 big sleeves used to fix both its sides. So I have designed the ‘empty project’ for this case containing only 6 holes at schematic and case graphics and correctly placed these holes at PCB (not having anything at Edge.Cuts yet). When I then draw a PCB rectangle (using rectangle, not lines) shape I don’t care how much on each hole are my Edge.Cut lines. Close to project end I can simply correct my PCB size if I don’t need to use the whole area inside this case.
I use this case since 2014 and PCB manufacturer didn’t questioned such designs made in Protel (I used previously) and in KiCad nowadays.