3D step file doesn't include WRL components

Hello,

I am trying to export the 3D object of the PCB as a STEP file.
But I noticed that all components with WRL 3D reference are missing in the STEP file.

Does KiCad convert the WRL format to STEP while exporting?

Nope. The step export is not able to combine in WRL files.

1 Like

1 – First of all be all sure to copy your original project into a safe place – very important as KiCads file handling/file system seems a bit old fashioned & weird :wink:
2 – Copy that backuped project to another place and open the pcb file in a text editor, search and replace all instances of “.wrl” with “.step”.
3 – Open the project and check so the PCB still works.
4 – If so, export the PCB as STEP and check if it works now.

1 Like

You cannot simply convert WRL to STEP. Most built in KiCad 3D models exist in both formats

Yea, and that’s why I suggest the text editor modification, to change the pcb file references from .wrl to .step (=of course the .step files must be available in the system).

The above comments are true but what will likely solve your problem is checking the “substitute similarly named models” box in the STEP export dialog.

KiCad’s footprint models are usually provided in both WRL and STEP format, but the footprints contain the path to the WRL. This box checks if there is a STEP file with the same name as the specified WRL, and if so uses the STEP model for the export.

1 Like

Thanks, I used your trick and it worked :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks a million, yes I wasn’t aware of this option, it helps a lot

2 Likes

This substitute option was introduced with V6. The V5.1 series behaved like this automatically, so the default behaviour has changed

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.