3D Models KiCAD Wishlist

Hello,

As I commented the other day exposes some components have not found that to Kicad and could perhaps be of interest.

XBee 868LP

Bosch BMX055

Bosch BMP280
Bosch BME280
Telit SL869 and SL869DR

I will put more when I can. And if someone wants to add more you can take advantage of the post.

Best regards

You may want to cross-post this list to the freecad forums at http://forum.freecadweb.org/ also. Now with the stepup macro, you can draw the parts in freecad and export them to kicad nicely.

I’ve always thought there could be a very good (ugh I hate this word) synergy between teaching freecad and making 3d models for KiCAD. When learning anything, you always need a little project to start with. The nice thing about electronics 3d models is that they’re perfect for freecad beginners. Datasheets are pretty good on specifying exact part dimensions and they’re usually not very complicated. If students/beginners knew they were designing a part that might actually help people in the KiCAD world, then I think that might give them an added bonus for motivation.

If you expand it further, a Kicad footprint/symbol wishlist would be nice too. That way you could put students to work and help them contribute to the kicad library.

Totally just theorizing off the hip here so I could be way off base.

S

2 Likes

I second what @SBW said, with cross-linking this over to the freecad forums (might need to ask moderators there first to make sure it’s not against their rules or something) to tap into a vast resource of people who really dig this kind of stuff.
Will have a go at the BOSCH sensors tonight as I wanted that BME280 myself down the road and maybe the Telit IC as well…

Awesome!

I do not know how to thank.

I look forward to using it. I will share the results as soon as possible.

@SBW
I did not know this forum, I have to visit more often. There is also a subforum in Spanish (my native language). Thanks very much.

King Regards.

Hey guys, I really want to have the following parts as 3d model for KiCad, this would be awesome :smile:
I would do it myself but don’t know really where to start.

B2B-PH-SM4-TB
B4B-PH-SM4-TB
B6B-PH-SM4-TB

S2B-PH-SM4-TB
S4B-PH-SM4-TB
S6B-PH-SM4-TB

all other pin counts would be great but not necessary at this point.

all original models can be found @ http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=199 (click on 3d Data)

Best regards.

HI @suckiden
if you go to manufacturer’s site you can download STEP 3D models

(those models normally cannot be freely distributed, but they are fine for personal use… )
then you can align your model to kicad footprint and export both STEP and VRML with kicad StepUp tools following this tutorial video

@suckiden
Did you see these?
http://smisioto.no-ip.org/kicad_libs/modules/mod_conn_jst-ph.zip

There is more over there… way more.
http://smisioto.no-ip.org/elettronica/kicad/kicad-en.htm

@suckiden
please consider that all smisioto libs are wrl only; so unfortunately they cannot be used for 3D mechanical purposes becase are based on Wings3D modeler…

You can get from smisioto the footprints, and then download the STEP 3D model from manufacturer and align it to the model with kicad StepUp tool.
Then you will get a 3D MCAD model for exporting board and part to MCAD environment, for a better ECAD MCAD design collaboration and enclosure design :smile:

Hello!,

Add a few more pieces that I find interesting.

SSP-T7-F series used to RTC (32Mhz) in NXP microcontrollers.

ABLS2 series used to 12Mhz Crystal in NXP microcontrollers (mbed and others lpcexpresso boards)

Best regards.

https://github.com/JoanTheSpark/KiCAD/blob/master/3D-shapes/SMD_Devices.zip

1 Like

Hi @Joan_Sparky good work!
I have some suggestions:

• Why do you zip your libraries? I guess if you are using git it will compress while sending the updates / same for downloads. Also it was easier (for me?) to clone the repository and then just copy the files … without need to uncompressed it every time there is a new update.

• Do you have any parameter for “quality tesselation” on exporter? I think the models (VRML) are too tesselated (== lots of triangles) and maybe for their use / visualization, could have less triangles…

• Do you have any change already to investigate how to set proper materials in the models that will export to VRML ?

• I had a look in the VRML files, they are not “clean” but I guess @maui is working in a better exporter…

Cheers,
Mario

• Oh, I can handle this just like a normal folder with model files in there if that’s better/favored? No problem. Will do that in a couple of days then.

• I have no control over quality/number of segments per arc afai can tell upon export to STEP… I enquired before and the place where I would put the iron into the gear would be where FreeCAD converts from STEP into VRML(*), as the STEP files are pretty small when they come out of Inventor and seem to contain geometry definitions instead of final vertices/faces like VRML does.
    The only thing I can do is to not put labels on them, to reduce vertex/face count and use less fillets (round corners) and even more chamfers (45deg broken corners).

• Didn’t investigate yet re materials, no. No time yet for this. :slight_smile:

• Yeah, was reading that a while back about better exports *fingers crossed*

*) and as far as I understood it, the ‘conversion’ is done by the 3d drawing package that FreeCAD uses. If one could set quality of display/tessellation/segments per arc for that module, then it should be possible?!

http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=3037

[EDIT] that thread I linked got me to search for the option… it’s located here:

A setting of 10%, 45 deg makes 4 segments per 90 deg arc, 20%, 70 deg give 3 segments as it’s shown in the picture.
The former setting was something like 0.05%, 22.8 deg and gave 5 or 6 segments per 90 deg arc.
The VRML model size due to this changed from 1,858 kB to 532 kB upon exporting/saving.
Only downside I see is, that this setting is for the whole model, so certain big parts that need a bit more tesselation than edges will look low poly due to this measure… but it’s doable.

No, please, do it as you think is the proper way to do it. you should keep details, text etc…
I think this is in first place an export option (as you are already exploring the parameters) so it should convert that “fillets and chamfers” to less triangles.

You can test your models (VRML) with kicad or view3dscene

I suggest you choose the “detail level” thinking that you will make zoom in the board… and … how big/small your component will look like.
This is your MELF at maximun zoom in 3D-Viewer … still. you can see lots of of triangle tessellation:

Maybe it is OK that at maximum zoom you see it a bit low poly… so they will still look fine when you zoom at normal “distance” to see the board

Mario

Maybe you have to adjust it, considering the small detail you want
Example if you have two cylinders, one with big diameter and one with much small diameter, you may want that the big diameter cylinder will look good, so you set the options based on the one that most need?

Mario

Hm… that you can see the tessellation with such a high count of segments per 90 deg arc is rather meh.
There must be some settings or tuning possible for the material/surface that will allow smoothing over edges from one triangle/face to the other… in 3D Max I could influence that directly.
I think I saw Maurice talk about it sometime or was it that guy with the big 3d model collection…
Anyhow, for smooth surfaces I found 3-4 segments per 90 deg quite good enough. For KiCAD definitely good enough, even at high zoom. One will be able to see the ‘resolution’ of the model vs against the background, but for the surfaces them self, they should be smooth.
I might need to check if it’s my material settings that do this and if I can do anything about it.

Also, the models from me appear rather flat… no specular color or value is defined it seems.
No idea how to get that transmitted, as the export dialog in Inventor doesn’t have options for anything like that.

The import into FreeCAD ‘creates’ the mesh model for the 3D view (with current settings for tessellations, one needs to change settings and reload the model to see changes) from the solid geometry definition that is in the STEP file.
No idea atm where to grab in there and give those materials their shininess back…

I think it depends. May be ok for corners. But may be too low for big cylinders, eg: cylindrical capacitors.

Relating with the smooth of the normals, that depends on the tessellation generator and on the normal calculation (smooth) of the render(in case it don’t use the normals that come with the model)
But there is not much you can do about it, unless there are proper options in the triangle convertion

@Joan_Sparky
don’t loose too much time on that …with a friend of mine we have already solved that, exporting the VRML without the internal FC routines, but building the VRML with a python parser…
you can find the VRML exporter at the official FreeCAD Macro recipes at
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Macros_recipes
and here the macro
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Macro_PartToVRML
I think you would appreciate it a lot … 5 times smaller in bite size typically, and with a simpler VRML structure, so to be read also from Blender… :smiley:
and you can choose the tessellation factor

I’m going to release the new GUI version of kicad StepUp that is using the new routines…
for the moment here an example of the Blender rendering (plain VRML without material properties)

@kammutierspule
considering that now you can have nice and small VRML models to test the new 3D rendering, would you mind to see if you can implement the ability to move the rotation center in 3d viewer?
Me and a lot of people working with large board and enclosure would appreciate it a lot :wink:

2 Likes

These are two different things.

• One thing is the result format of the VRML and “file cleanness” (your new exporter)

• Other is the tessellation. Having a very high tessellation may doesnt help the render and user will not gain in visualization quality. Also if you have a very high tessellation, that will make the renders slow.
    That example of the MELF have about 27584 triangles.

Just gave you an idea, that is about the polycount of a main character in a actual video game:

So if you have a board with 100s of that model… that will be lots of triangles in a scene… :confused:
Users will start to fell it slow in big projects.