3D Models are missing in KiCAD 6.0

Hello, I have installed KiCAD 6.0 and it is a wonderful software. However, I am facing the issue where a lot of 3D models are missing. When I look at the footprint properties, it shows that there was supposed to be a 3D model in the KICAD6_3DMODEL_DIR directory. However when I check the dir, I see that there is not corresponding wrl or step file in the dir. As an example I am attaching a screenshot for BarrelJack_GCT_DCJ200-10-A_Horizontal. This is just one example of many instances where there is no 3D model for the part.

Many of the models do not exist yet, but the name is populated in the footprint so that when it is created, it will just work without having to modify the footprint.

Thanks for quick reply. Is there a way around this? Is there somewhere I could download the 3D models for version 5 and import into new Global library residing in my {user_dir}?

The footprint you’re looking at does not have a 3D model created for it, as thebigg says. It didn’t have one in V5, either.

Here’s a link to the 3D models for that library that were shipped with V5 (they’re the same as V6): kicad-packages3D/Connector_BarrelJack.3dshapes at master · KiCad/kicad-packages3D · GitHub

You can download a manufacturer model or create a model yourself, if you want.

Thanks for clarification. I download the footprints and 3D models from here when I see them missing.

https://forum.kicad.info/t/why-a-footprint-points-to-a-3d-model-but-the-model-file-doesnt-exist/24979

This is the link to the FAQ which explains the Library process.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.