3D Empty header (just holes) array?

I’m looking for a 3D model of an empty row of holes. The kind of thing you would plug a header into, except emtpy, for test points and jumpers. I’ve not ventured into 3D models just yet.

I suppose I could make an array of VIAs, but just wondered if this footprint existed in a 3D lib. Maybe I’m just looking for the wrong name.

That or over/under on the caffeine today (:sunglasses:

Disclaimer: I might have misunderstood your question. Feel free to ignore me :wink: (I thought you complained that you only get empty holes and are wondering why there is no model.)

There is a known issue if you updated from version 4: I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup

And for a lot of operating systems you can choose not to install the 3d model library. (In windows it is a tickmark in the installer. In linux it is a separate package.)

But it might well be that there is no 3d model for the footprint you chose. It might help us to determine where your problem is if you would give us at least the name of the footprint in question.

I don’t get it. Why not just use a header footprint and remove the 3D model?

3D models in KiCad are for things that go into holes. If you have a hole (from for example a header strip footprint, or even manually placed vias) in your board KiCad will render those as holes in the board.

If this doesn’t help, maybe I’m not understanding your confusion?

EDIT: Ah, @halachal answered (while I was writing) with a point that I wasn’t thinking of. Yeah, with the standard header footprints there is a “pre-loaded” header strip 3D model. Simply edit the header footprint on the board (not in the library) to remove the link to the 3D model.

“3D models in KiCad are for things that go into holes.”

That is exactly what I needed to understand. Thank you!!!

Hmmm… In PCBnew, I select and Edit the footprint. On the 3D tab, I can delete the link, but the empty field results in a error msg about a bad filename.

If I replace the link with: ${KISYS3DMOD}/null.wrl
it seems happy.

That is odd. This might be a bug. What version are you running?
I’ll try to replicate this tonight on the latest nightly, but it would be good to know your version as well. (If anyone else wants to try to verify, feel free. I’m going to be busy tonight and might not get to this.)

Yes I can Del the link, but am then UNABLE TO SAVE the edit, because of error msg.

Sorry, I tried to change my reply before you saw it. I failed.

Application: kicad
Version: (6.0.0-rc1-dev-1289-g6d8ca311f), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.1
Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Do not delete the text of the path.
Use the delete button (looks like a waste basket) below the list of 3d model paths while the path you want deleted is selected.

1 Like

Rene - Apparently the Waste Basket icon is insufficiently clear as to its use!
I really hate it when I post a question and the answer is there on the screen staring me in the face. (:sunglasses:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.