Wishlist: Implement ODB++ export

I’ve opened a wishlist bug: Implement ODB++ export
Please feel free to add your vote.

3 Likes

Added my vote to this as a wishlist item

1 Like

It is good to get wishlist feedback, but it would be better to make a call for volunteers to implement that features.
Have a look also at

add votes will not make the things appear as magic…
add developers will make magic and it happen!

1 Like

True, but is can generate discussion about priorities. In my opinion IPC-2581 export is a commercial production desirable, that only makes sense if KiCad has already reached the stage of interfacing to production databases.
From the activity in recent threads, a lot of effort is going into writing plugins formatting BOM output and inserting extra fields. Maybe some of this could be steered towards ODBC.
Others are perfectly free to disagree and sponsor whatever they favour

1 Like

That would be possible if the project has people employed working on it. As far as I know, there are only one… maybe two? persons employed to work on KiCad project.
For some years that I am following KiCad development, what I saw was that new features only come from developers that want that features for use by them selves, they will not volunteer for any imposed priorities and will not pick a wish feature unless they need it.

So I believe in your examples (plugins related with BOM) are developed by someone that needs it for personal use and contribute it for the community.

KiCad it self is very lucky, being an EDA tool, there are people with software capabilities to develop/contribute on relation to their EDA needs.

1 Like

Well, clue is in the name: it’s a “wishlist”, not a “demandlist” or “prioritylist” :wink:
People choose to implement what they want but it’s still useful to raise an awareness that such and such feature is desired by users. Otherwise there is no point in having a wishlist bug type at all.

2 Likes

True, in the past KiCad started from one mans vision and later grew with a very small core team. Since the 4.0.0 release KiCad has generated enough publicity to stand a chance of attracting a skilled volunteer or two. Hopefully the rewrite of PcbNew has left it in a more coherent and maintainable state

I second it. because this is most wanted from simulation tools, vendor and fabrication side

This is a 6 year old thread.
See Implement ODB++ export (lp:#1573973) (#2019) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab
Closing it now