Seeing component dimensions in CVPCB

Chris Gammel’s Library Setup and Part Association video was helpful to me. Videos such as this jump-start my efforts more than manuals do. One thing I did not see, that I have a problem with, is seeing footprint dimensions in the little "View selected footprint"pop-up window. Specifically, I am using a capacitor that might have an appropriate footprint (I might not have to make it), but I cannot know because the dimensions of, for instance, Discret:CP20 do not show.

Is this just pilot error? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Can you see the footprint at all? If you just get the new window open and nothing in it it could be because you have not selected the actual component from the list on the right hand side of the window.

Here is what I do when Cvpcb has opened and all the components have been displayed:

Check that the ‘L’ option is selected and is the only one selected. This option makes it so when you chose a component library on the long list to the left all the available components show on the right hand side of the window.

Now I find the component on the right hand side window I think should be correct and click on it.

Click the ‘view selected footprint’ option and you will see the footprint in a new window.

Using the numbers (X, Y, dx, dy) at the bottom of this window as you move the mouse cursor around will allow you to work out the size of the footprint.

If it is correct close the footprint window and then click on the component in the middle list which needs this footprint and then double click on the footprint on the right hand list to set it.

1 Like

Thanks, kerrsmith, your suggestion does work (yes, I can see the footprint). I guess, being new to Kicad, that I would somehow see the important dimensions without moving the cursor from one point to the other, then multiply by two. A bit cumbersome, but it works.

It does take a while the first few times but once you have a few projects complete you will be able to look at those for reference and select the correct footprints straight away.

I usually print out BOM from a project that uses most of the components I am going to use and then I find I can mostly run down the Cvpcb list and select nearly every footprint I need without having to check them as I know which ones are going to work as I have used them before.