Schematic Border and Title Block

I can see why this is done. For example, a pcb created in 4.1.0 with rounded rectangular pads will not print correctly on a 4.0.3 system, so the displaying version does matter

Why should KiCAD behave differently than the great majority of other software programs?

If I have, say, Office97, I wouldn’t normally expect my Office97 to open files created in the formats used by Office2010. (In fact, Office 2010 CAN create files in the Office97 formats but that is not the default behavior.)

On the other hand, I’d certainly hope that Office2010 can at least open and edit files in the Office97 format.

But suppose I create a document in Office97, and electronically mark it as “Created with Office97” - much like KiCAD seems to do in the title blocks. (E.g., “(2016-07-14 BZR 6980, Git 98bc4d3)-product”.) If I open the Office97 document in Office2010, I do NOT want the markings changed to imply that it originated with Office2010. Even though I may have Office2010, I may want to share the document with others who have only Office2010. I don’t want either the file format, or the markings changed. But KiCAD changes the title block markings to the currently installed version.

Dale

1 Like

Unlike your MS Office example, 4.0.3 will display a project created in 4.1.0. This is dangerous if you accidentally plot Gerbers from the older version.

I can see that it could be useful to have version of program which last saved a file displayed, rather than the version which originally created it. What matters is the current format of the file content not some kind of historical audit trail

I have found that if you want to change this %K field, you have to create a separate file with the “PI_editor” and save it with the project name. Then in Eschema, use File | Page Settings to select the description file.

This does not seem to be transmitted to the layout tool, so you need to do a similar thing from there and also.

Another automatically filled element is the first one showing sheet number, though this does not seem to actually work. I have one sheet and instead of showing 1/1 it just gives "Sheet : / " , rather untidy.

It is unclear how and at what stage these things are filled and synced up.

There is similarly a “Date %D” field but this does not seem to be filling in with the date. This whole thing seems rather inconsistent and unfinished.

Starting to look like a need for a page somewhere describing these fields, what the do, what they don’t do and what users would like them to do. All for the benefit of the EEschema2 developers

1 Like

Agreed, it is a little unclear what to expect or how to get a given result. If Eschema is being reworked that may be a good time to clean this aspect up.

I has been while since I posted this, but the more I have used KiCAD the more I do not understand why the Title block is fixed, and we cannot create a customized block in any way. I use other EDA software at work, and that software the title block is basically placed on each sheet like a part, and if we need or want to customize the block we can by creating a new title block part. This seems like a basic feature (non-programmer talking here) that should be included. With the current fixed format, it just looks unprofessional especially with the KiCAD information forced to be there.

Same answer as before.

No you do not understand what I mean.

I want the ability to complete customize the title block area on a sheet by sheet basis in a design.

If I want a different block on the first sheet compared the the remaining sheets I can’t do that or at least I do not see how to. Can I use different formats for each sheet?

No, you have to use the same title block for all sheets. I agree that even Eagle has a much better way of handling the title block.

The title block should just be a par that can be placed like a component. This would make things much easier. But for free I guess we can expect everything to work perfectly.

The title block design is unusual in being referenced to diagonally opposite corners of the sheet. This allows a standardised appearance on different paper sizes

Constraints allow items to only appear on certain pages.
The page layout is defined in a wks file, I don’t know if you can have different wks files in aproject

Hi Frozen001,
You can change easily that title block in any schema.

1. Start Page Layout Editor.
  2. Use left side navigation to change shapes and text.
  3. Save it with a name what you want in your project folder.
  4. Open KiCAD project. Open a schema with Eeschema.
  5. Go to the Page settings from File menu.
  6. On the down side of dialog u can see “Page layout description file” box.
  7. Click browse button. Find saved “.kicad_wks” file.
  8. Fill upper boxes if you want.
  9. Press “OK” button.
    Thats it.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Though it is a pain, there is a setting for any element to be shown only on the first page. Select the element in the layout editor, then there’s a box that lets you choose if it’s on the first page only, everywhere but the first page, or everywhere. You can achieve stuff like this.

1 Like
  1. How can I increase the size of the schematic page borders? (My schematic is kind of big)

2. Or, If some parts of my schematic go outside the page borders, will the net-list still generate? & will the Pcbnew still respond normally? (as some components are outside the border in the schematic due to lack of space inside the border?)

3. Does the net-list (& then the Pcbnew), recognize components of the schematic drawn outside the borders?

Please explain & help. Why should I waste time in “hit & trial” methods?

1. File-> Page Settings, set paper size as desired, or set to user and define your own size.

2 & 3 The drawing frame is cosmetic and has no impact on the netlist. The same applies to eeschema and pcbnew.

Thanks Sir,
I think you mean: that even if I continue drawing the schematic outside the “cosmetic” border, the net-list will still generate, (& that,…I also can increase the schematic paper size if I want to, - to make it look neat?) - but that is optional? Have I got it correct?

Yes, that’s correct. You can even turn off the border completely if you want.

blank.kicad_wks (382 Bytes)

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Netlist trouble (and some other stuff)

Hi, I am using the latest stable version of KiCad under Windows 7 64 bit. I have quite a large schematic that for readability I want to print at A2. The format of the drawing is A2. Printing to A3 is fine, even though the print previews is cut off top and bottom. (Konica Minolta C554 that downscales in its own software). If I print A2 (HP Design Jet 800 42) the print is exactly the same as the print preview.

If I go to the page layout editor, the print looks fine, the preview is fine, and the A2 print is fine with all borders present.

Is this a bug in the schematic software, or in the Page layout / setup software?

I have tried custom settings, translating the A2 size to imperial units (16.53" x 23.38") and the top / bottom borders are still missing in print preview of the schematic.

Setting the page to A1 loses all except some of the bottom border in schematic preview. It looks OK in the page layout editor, but page editor print preview shows no bottom or right border even at 20% zoom.

I did not try A0!

Any ideas?