R-78Exx voltage regulator model

I think the library model for the R-78Exx series of regulators is wired up backwards with its vout pin and vin pins swapped. Data sheet is here: http://www.recom-power.com/pdf/Innoline/R-78Exx-0.5.pdf

If you found this issue in one of default KiCad library report an offical issue at KiCad GitHub repository.

The footprint has pins 1 and 3 swapped compared to the datasheet.
What schematic symbol are you using.
The 78X family is a mess, some using Vin vs pin 1

Converters_DCDC_ACDC:DCDC-Conv_Recom_R-78HBxx-0.5

That is the footprint, which does not follow the manufacturer pin numbering.
What schematic symbol do you use. In the end the schematic symbol and Pcbnew footprint must be consistent, you can call the pins what you like within limits

Ahh, I misunderstood your question.

After looking into it further, I realized that I used the symbol for the R-78E line of regulators, but the footprint for the R-78HB regulators. Recom stupidly chose different pin numberings for them, but kept the package almost the same. To make matters even more confusing, the symbol was a custom one… so not something Kicad could have really helped out with. What a mess.

Thanks for the replies! It’s very nice to see such a welcoming community around this tool.

Jon

1 Like

Actually Recom pin numbering is the same, pin 1 Vin.
The error is that the E bulges out behind the device and the HB in front, so you need to make your own footprint for the “E” part.
Looking at http://www.recom-power.com/pdf/Innoline/R-78Exx-0.5.pdf
In the recommended footprint, Pin 1 appears to be the arrowed hole. Recom forgot to identify it by colouring black as they did in the HB datasheet

Hi guys
I am new in Kicad and i try to find this this part in regulator lib and also in dc convertors but with no success . I found it in in “github.com/frenchie/kicad-lib
Is this the same so I can use it with no problem ??
Regards Doron

To rephrase @Andy_P… yes, you should be fine, but make sure the pin mapping from symbol to footprint is correct and matches the datasheet of the device you’re using.

thanks for clarify the issue