Printing the Board on my Laser

When I printed my board using the printer button for toner transfer, it printed all the copper with a fine mesh instead of solid black. The toner transfer process made holes for all the mesh spots.

Is there some setting I need to fiddle to get these to print better? The board works, but I had to patch it up a little more than I’m used to. See how the dots in the traces are nearly etched through.

Image shot by holding my cellphone in front of a magnifier.

I’d say your printer is set to dither instead of full black or somesuch… check the settings of it and search on the web about it. Not caused by KiCAD really.

With some experimenting, here’s what I’ve learned:

For toner transfer, or any process where you need a good solid image printed, don’t use the print button in PCBNew. Instead, generate the gerbers. Then bring up the gerber viewer program and use the print button there. Both have a “Mirror” check box for if you need it reversed.

Much nicer results:

Of course, it took 8 tries to get a photo this good…

A few years ago I bought one of these USB “Document Cameras” : https://www.ipevo.com/prods/Point-2-View-USB-Camera
It focuses down to an inch or two, and with some software zoom you can inspect your SMT soldering, or the quality of plating on an IC pin. Simple enough to operate in your bare feet.

I bought mine directly from the company but my son (the High School teacher) says they are in a few of the teachers’ supply stores, if you want to see a demo before you buy.

Dale

Yes, those work for a start - read some reviews of the particular model on some of the websites that deal with the gear ( http://www.eevblog.com/forum/ comes to mind) to buy something that lasts a while and isn’t a complete dud right out of the gate.

Definitely get one with with a stand.

Next step up is something like this:

…costs 10-20x as much as the USB microscope version up there, but gives you stereoscopic view, a bigger viewing area and when it’s a real trinocular you can see the image on the monitor WHILE you look through the eyepieces (or better someone looking over your shoulder).
Don’t forget to order the illumination ring right away - you want to see something - it’s absolutely necessary to have that much light.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to check the “mirror” box if doing toner transfer.

1 Like